What happened to Skin Diver Mag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, the day came when I got an issue and thumbed completely through and didn't find a thing I wanted to read. Our local scuba club laughed at the way every dive resort was reviewed as having fantastic conditions, all year round! Didn't have to wait for the good season, pay your money now the diving is always good. Every piece of dive gear they reviewed was the greatest thing since bottled beer. And then...wonder of wonders...the very dive gear or resort in the article had a huge advertisement just a few pages over. I used to think that at least the photography was good until some competitors began cropping up with way better pictures.

DFB

.......an industry pattern I've noticed over the years, and not limited to just SDM, is that the photography in dive magazines / brochures / books / WWW sites, is HIGHLY dated, very pretty reefs, corals, fish and other life looks abundant/healthy, but the divers are all wearing vintage gear, betraying the true age of the photography, so it's obvious the photos are portraying the way things WERE back in the 70's and 80's at best, and in no way reflect the sad reality of ocean/reef decline over the last 20-30 yrs !

I too lost interest in "Skin Diver" magazine when it turned into a travel brochure. Others have paid tribute to the early issues of the magazine, which were full of fascinating articles and ads from the pioneer era, where people dived locally rather than in exotic locations.

Wouldn't it be great if the 1950s and 1960s issues of the magazine were scanned and made available online for everybody to read and research rather than rely on early issues coming up at fancy prices on eBay? There are scans of period diving catalogues online to look at and the Skin Diving History site has masses of vintage diving gear ads, but somehow such resources aren't complete without scans of national diving mags such as "Skin Diver" in the US and "Triton" or "Neptune" in the UK.

I stopped reading it in the early 80ies for the same reasons given. When was the last issue published?

…Wouldn't it be great if the 1950s and 1960s issues of the magazine were scanned and made available online for everybody to read and research rather than rely on early issues coming up at fancy prices on eBay? ...

I have heard that the name "Skin Diver Magazine" was sold to a competitor but the copyrights are still held by the owner, Petersen Publishing??? Not sure who owned them when they closed the doors but the story goes that there were a lot of unfunded pension liabilities that made the package unsalable. I wonder if it is worth the effort to see if the copyright owner would be willing to sell the rights or digitize them and sell media?

The closest thing I have found to the Skin Diver I knew and loved is Diver Magazine out of Canada. There is a lot of science, technology, and commercial diving because Phil Nuytten is the publisher. He was one of the co-founders of Oceaneering International and owns Nuytco Research, the manufacturer of atmospheric diving suits and small submersibles.

Home - DIVER magazine

Last edited:
Diver Magazine (Canada) was my favorite as a kid. The destinations seemed more attainable than reefs when I was a teenager. Most of the focus was cold water diving in BC, the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence and Atlantic Provinces. Plus, they covered diving science, engineering, and technology. Articles like the discovery of the HMS Breadalbane were more interesting to read than what electrical converter you might need when diving at a resort in Nevis.

The closest thing I have found to the Skin Diver I knew and loved is Diver Magazine out of Canada. There is a lot of science, technology, and commercial diving technology because Phil Nuytten is the publisher. He was one of the he co-founds Oceaneering International and owns Nuytco Research, the manufacturer of atmospheric diving suits and small submersibles.

http://www.divermag.com/

It and Diver UK are the only mags I subscribe to. Some I get free because I'm an operator, some because I'm a DAN member, some because I'm a PADI instructor, but I only read Diver and Diver UK. How much do you reckon it costs Phil Nuytten to publish an issue? It's far too good to actually make any money....

… How much do you reckon it costs Phil Nuytten to publish an issue? It's far too good to actually make any money....

No idea, but anything to do with diving usually starts as a labor of love — even the get-rich-quick schemes. A few people are tenacious and lucky enough to eventually make a decent living at it.

Love Div​er (U.K.) too! Where else can you read about two British female divers who decide to take the day off from their secretarial jobs where they are stationed in Africa to go scuba diving in a lake filled with hippos during a border war?

As I recall, Skin Diver magazine's last gasp was when it entered into a cooperative venture with DAN, in which Alert Diver was delivered as an insert with Skin Diver, that was sometime in the early 2000's. They went out of business shortly thereafter. By then, a lot of specialty magazines were going out of business. The magazine racks at the drug stores of my youth where I first saw Skindiver, are now a shadow of their former selves (but then, so are drugstores). Consolidation was the name of the game as publications bought publications in a desparate attempt to gain subscribers and circulation (upon which advertising rates are based). Remember Underwater USA with its tabloid format? I regretted that day Rodale's Scuba bought that publication. Within a few years, Rodales had morphed as the name was dropped from the title.

I read a lot of back issues and briefly subscribed to Skindiver in the early 1980s. It did seem that they blurred the line between journalism and advertiser advocacy, but everyone knew it, so let the buyer beware. Local dive shop owners hated the magazine because of their advertising from mail-order dive supply houses (a debate that seems quaint in today's brick and mortar versus on-line ordering). What Skin Diver had going for it was advertising rates for display ads. I recall getting their advertiser package when I was organizing a one-day workshop of California Shipwrecks and being shicked an amazed at the rates they would charge advertisers.

One could never figure out what the magazine's editorial policy was other than never say anything but good about an advertiser. As a sometime feature writer, it was important for me to do so. In the late 1980s, the magazine was very much influenced by certain groups. For examle, the California Wreck Divers was one and the magazine really came to the defense of the people that were plundering wrecks at Channel Islands and other locations. My impression was that the magazine did want define diving orthodoxy, and anyone or anything that is outside orthodoxy is heretical. They were not alone in this effort. I recall going to the LA Scuba Show in the early 90s where a group of technical divers had a small display. At the time, friends of mine in Santa Barbara were experimenting with "deep air" and mixed gases (homebrew), so I stood at the booth and listened as an officious instructor with all the specialty "merit badge" patches sewn to his jacket came up and started harranging the guys about how they were going to be demise of sport diving. Within a few years, his certification agency would be offering 'tech diving", however defined, as a specialty.

I still have Underwater USA magazines in boxes. When I recently decided to clean out the closet and some bookshelves. Skin Diver, Sport Diver, Scuba Times, Dive International and a few others were thrown out. Diver Magazine (Canada), Diver (UK), Ocean Realm, ScubaPro Diving & Snorkeling, the NSS-CDS and NACD journals, Underwater USA, and the tech magazines stayed.

Back
Top Bottom