What happened to personal responsibilty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vtdiver2:
Sorry, by IMO, you and Seabully got it wrong. No one is saying it isn't sad, what is being said is that it's time people take responsibility for their actions. Whether it be a tragic accident described in the opening post, finding lost skiiers or hikers who go "backwoods" to get their kicks, or divers who dive in conditions or situations beyond their capabilities, in many cases rescue workers are put in harms way, tax dollars are spent in their rescue or recovery, and in the end, no one takes responsibility. It's just laughed off as kids having fun, or it's too tragic to blame the person who got killed doing something stupid.
Sorry, I don't buy those arguments. Is it tragic they died? Sure, but its tragic to those family and friends who will miss them, for the rescue workers who have to see this sensless accident and scrape them out of the vehicle or off the pavement, not just for those that died. They paid the price doing what they wanted to do.
I have it written that if I ever die while diving, unless there is gross negligence on the part of the others concerned, to chalk it up to my passing on doing something I loved. I'm taking responsibility for doing something I enjoy. It would be nice if everyone else in society did the same.
It's not surprising that many people in the public safety line of work ( EMTs, Police, firemen) burn out, have a higher rate of suicide, alcoholism and divorce.
And then there are those that chastize them when they speak out about some of the sensless things they see......that's what I call sad!
C-Dawg
I agree with what you wrote but i agree with seabulley that this post should not have been on this site.

what do car accidents, incidents, crashes or whatever you wanna call them, have to do with the Lobster Diving in New England? Did I click the wrong Forum???

As some people seem to have taken offense to where this thread was, I have moved it to the appropriate forum.

What a breath of fresh air this thread is!

I too cannot stand the lack of personal responsibility today. I think for me I became completely numb back when that chick spilled hot coffee in her lap and sued McDonalds...cause...get this....the coffee was "hot".

What is even better than the lack of personal responsibility is when the outcry from mad mothers/fathers leads to our elected representatives trying to legislate against stupidity. Case in point. Young woman (I think 17) runs a stop sign and hits a fuel truck. Said fuel truck then explodes killing young girl. Parents then sue, and win, the oil company because the lines under the tanker were "wet" (carrying fuel). That's why tankers have to pump everything back into the holding tank now.

We shouldn't legislate to protect the stooopid. We are messing with natural selection.

Its sad that the young women died...I would have to wonder though, why were they out at 1 am? I know I wasn't allowed out that late until I ran away from home and joined the Army.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom