What gear to buy for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TB2Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to scuba diving and I'm getting certified in about three months and I was wondering what gear to buy. I already have a mask, fins, snorkel, weight belt I use for freediving that I can use I want to know which regulator, BCD, ect... would be best for me. I have done some freediving but never gotten certified to do scuba. I will mostly be using the gear to go spearfishing and some recreational diving. Ive done some research on a spearfishing website and they all seemed to love the Zeagle Stiletto for a BCD. I was wondering how good it is for just general diving?I will be diving mostly in the gulf of mexico all over. I'm 5' 6'' tall and I weigh around 175lbs. I am a very good swimmer. I'm looking for something thats not too terribly expensive but I want good quality products even if I have to spend a little extra. So if anyone could advise me which brand/models to look towards I would greatly appreciate it.

Scuba is not like golf or skiing. You don't need to buy a "beginner set". I recommend to purchase the best gear you can afford.

You are going to get a lot of different responses based on what everyone else likes to dive. I would start with your instructor and do your homework. Read reviews and base your buying decision on what is right for you. Shop on line, see what is out there. Then go to a LDS you trust, and talk with them about a package. Some may not want to deal with you but a good store will look at what you want, and meet or beat internet pricing, if you purchase in a package. Many will throw in extras too.

As for brands, most bigger manufacturers (Aqua lung, Scuba Pro, Mares, Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood etc) make good gear and it is on the low to mid range, with a few products that are very, very good. Smaller companies like Zeagle and Atomic, make mid to upper quality gear, but specialize where they are good and don't make everything.

Zeagle makes excellent BCDs. I am not a fan, but I found that they are not comfortable, for me. Many people love them and swear by them. The only brand recommendation I will make to you is Atomic Aquatics for your regulator. The Z2 is an excellent buy (MSRP $429) and is one of the best breathing regulators on the market.

Hope this helps!

There was someone on the board a while back that was selling first stages for $60, and I think she still has some available. They are basically OEM versions of some other brand of regulator.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ho...-diaphragm-first-stages-yoke-din-60-each.html

you cant go wrong getting a zeagle BC. I would suggest trying on as many brands an models as you can. Also see if you can test dive some.

You might also want to look at a backplate and wing. They are really comfortable and very customizable. they also tend to be cheaper than "traditional" BCs.

Regulator buying advice

Hello,

Shortly, you will be swamped with advise about buying a regulator, mostly by people who own a brand and are very fond of it. One thing to keep in mind about regulators is that most are great at what they do. So how do you separate the weed from the chaff? That won't be easy, but it will be fun and entertaining. Soon you will find out there are quite a few gurus on this board in each section. It's helpful to pick out a few of them and read lots of their post and you will be off to a very good start. In the regulator section I can highly recommend the post of (in no particular order) Awap, DA Aquamaster, Captain, Pescador775 and Luis H …there are lots of others but that will keep you busy for a while.
At any rate, you want a regulator brand that has a good track record for keeping parts available for each model. Of course unless you intend to DIY, you also want a regulator that can be serviced by your local dive shop and lots of locations in the world. The two best companies in both regards are Aqualung and Scubapro.
My recommendation for the average recreational diver, i.e. not freezing water, 150 feet or less, is a simple non balanced piston 1st stage such as the Scuba Pro MK 2 , there are other manufacturers with similar designs. This simple design is usually inexpensive see http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MK2-1st <http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MK2-1st> , is nearly bullet proof, easy to get parts for and serviced easily as well as easy to DIY because it requires only a few o-rings and a seat. Yes, the unbalanced design will increase the breathing effort at low tank pressure, but I view this as a good thing especially for new or inexperienced divers. Here is a good thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/87374-scuba-pro-r190-2.html Additionally, if/when one wants to start more advanced diving where high concentrations of oxygen will be used this type regulator can be moved to that application.

For a second stage I like an adjustable and balanced unit. This provides the ability to have the regulator tuned to minimum inhalation resistance with the option of the diver increasing the resistance it if he/she finds the need to. Having said that, a straight forward classic downstream design with a simple to replace set of o-rings and button soft seat can be highly recommended as it is a tried and true design, parts are usually available and almost anyone can service them.
I do think it is a good idea to have the same manufactures 1st and 2nd stage to make getting service less complicated.

For high end/higher performance regulators see the following link for DA's excellent advice.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/181745-advice-regulators.html <http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/181745-advice-regulators.html>

couv

Be careful about buying the likes of BCD's and regs before you get certified. I always tell students to buy the basics, mask fins and snorkel, but hold out on the other stuff until you know exactly what your looking for. So many BCD's and Regs have different features and I like to try out different types of gear before I buy and see what suits me.

Different jackets have different feeling, features, pro's, cons, etc, so by all means get as much info as you can. But ask instructors, DM's and other divers if you can try out their equipment so you can get a feel for what's right for you.

HTH

SF

Not sure if you are thinking of buying now or are just dong research. Now is the time to do research and learn as much as possible. It's rather difficult to understand what gear is right for you until you've been certified, and even for a bit after. Not that you will probably get it all perfect then either, or will never change anything, but you've got a much better chance of picking stuff you will like for awhile.

The only beginner gear in scuba is the stuff that you bought too soon and soon discovered that it's not really what you wanted, because you bought before you really had any idea. Any gear can last for years. I'm still using my original reg 17 years later. My first BC I replaced within a couple years, and I hated it that entire time.

Be careful about buying the likes of BCD's and regs before you get certified. I always tell students to buy the basics, mask fins and snorkel, but hold out on the other stuff until you know exactly what your looking for. So many BCD's and Regs have different features and I like to try out different types of gear before I buy and see what suits me.

Different jackets have different feeling, features, pro's, cons, etc, so by all means get as much info as you can. But ask instructors, DM's and other divers if you can try out their equipment so you can get a feel for what's right for you.

HTH

SF

ABSOLUTELY! Stop right now and DO NOT buy any other gear until after your certification is complete. Part of your certification class is discussion about gear, how it works, what's important, etc. and also while you are getting certified you are going to be using rental gear. It will show you what you like and don't like much better than getting advice about where to buy gear cheap here on the board. AFTER you get certified, then start shopping for gear.... you will have a much better idea what feels right to you, what you want in gear, and how much you want to spend.
The big rule about scuba gear is buy the best you can afford, but also get what fits YOU. Don't buy something just because it gets a good review somewhere, if it doesn't fit it is useless.

Back
Top Bottom