Time for an Equipment Upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksmoly04

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good morning everyone. I’m planning to do some diving this summer while visiting family in Florida. I need to have my annual gear servicing completed, but before I go and pay the ~$200 for that, I’m pausing due to the age of my gear. My BCD is ancient (bought when I first started diving in ‘98, and my current reg was purchased in 2004. There has been nothing wrong with my gear over the years, but I’m wondering if I shouldn’t consider upgrading my gear (vice servicing) at this point since it’s about a quarter century old.

If it’s relevant, I’m diving with an Aqua Lung BCD/Reg at this point in time.

Keith

I would talk to your dive shop tech to see if your current equipment is in good shape. If not then consider new equipment. I don’t mind diving with well maintained gear, I get my reg and gear service every year by a shop I trust and have been using for over 20 years. The other reason to look at new gear is if you are looking a better performance. Good luck.

The other reason to look at new gear is if you are looking a better performance.
How does new gear perform better? A BC is just for holding air and a 20 year old reg that's been serviced performs exactly the same as a brand new one.

BTW: When you ask at a dive shop whether you should get new gear, they'll most likely going to tell you to buy new.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I have ever upgraded my equipment because I needed to.

The fun answer: It's ALWAYS time for an upgrade!

The practical answer: Meh. As long as your gear is in good condition and suitable for the diving conditions you'll experience, and as long as you're happy using it, dive on.

The fun answer: It's ALWAYS time for an upgrade!
Even for those who feel that way, they should consider whether the new gear they buy is in fact better than their old gear. The OP has AquaLung--good products that could last many decades if kept in good condition.

@ksmoly04 , also keep in mind there is some gear that was so well built it is considered "vintage" by some dive gear enthusiasts who actually prefer such models over much of what is manufactured today. I have no idea about your AquaLung, but it's possible you own something that one of those vintage gear enthusiasts would consider a classic. These are mechanical things, so the considerations are different from upgrading things like consumer electronic devices. That said, exactly what models do you have?

You didn't say what kind of dive computer you have, but that's where you would probably get the most bang for your buck in an upgrade. Better display, modern algorithm, no lock out. Or maybe just ditch the BCD entirely for a BP/W.

A known problem with older BCs is the inflator hose flange breaking off from bladder. The plastic just fails and cracks.

That said, exactly what models do you have?
@Lorenzoid, I have a Cousteau RDS BCD with integrated weights; my reg is an Aqua Lung Titan LX; my Octo I upgraded in ‘14 to an Aqua Lung Mikron; my computer is an Oceanic Veo 180 NX in my dive console.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom