What gear to buy for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a comment to the op about on-line buying. It is a good point you raise about available of servicing in your area. You should own equipment that can be serviced or repaired near by. As far as order of purchase, I often suggest you buy things that go on your face or in your mouth before buying other items. So I would vote for a regulator/ octo set as next, which should include a primary and back up second stage, a 1st stage, and spg, and a computer, plus low pressure inflater hose. Tjis set up will cost 2 to 3 times what a bcd will cost, but I still think it is the best "next purchase." Focus on quality brands, s that can be serviced at a local shop near you (relatively speaking) and go with "user friendly' stuff appropriate to the environment in which you will do most of your diving.
DivemasterDennis

Mask & fins: Probably got those for your cert class -- got to have a mask that fits or why bother?

Exposure suit: People have peed in those rental wet suits -- 'nuff said.

BC: Trim is a learned skill but a properly fit BC makes a world of difference. I concur with BP/W, and those can be picked up used for cheap as cave divers move to sidemount, and there's nothing wrong with a used backplate -- it's hard to damage a steel plate -- about the worst you could find would be the webbing trimmed to short for you and changing the webbing isn't too tough. Just make sure the wing you get isn't a doubles wing -- you don't want to be struggling with a 55lb wing in singles. You'll likely need a single-tank adaptor too.

Computer: You have to monitor depth and time. You can do this with an analog depth gauge and a dive watch, but why not just start out with a computer. There's a learning curve to dive computers so might as well start early so you can get to know yours. I you use rentals they'll always be slightly different and you have to relearn how to use the thing.

Regs: While there are a world of different regs with different hose configurations, there isn't much of a learning curve with them -- attach them and they're ready to go, and they all work pretty much the same. They are arguably the most critical piece of equipment, but the failure rate is low, so the basic uniformity of use is why they're at the bottom of my list. Of course with a rental reg you're putting a mouthpiece in your mouth that's been in uncounted other mouths, but hey, what's a little slobber among friends... (or dive buddies).

Plus all the add-ons, like knives, SMBs, lights, spools, etc.

Enjoy the shopping!

After the Mask Fins and Snorkel (get good ones suitable for scuba not "snorkel sets") I would go the route of a decent regulator (with Octopus, SPG, Depth Gauge and Compass) and jacket BC. Why? Because these items are essential gear meaning that they will be used on practically all of your dives, and therefore should be a mainstay of your equipment purchases. Exposure suits, depending upon where you dive can be a necessity or a luxury - you'll know if you need one as essential gear (living in Canada I'll bet you say YES!). A water resistant watch to keep track of your dive time is also essential gear.

Computers are not needed for most recreational dives. We recreational divers dove for more than thirty years on tables before the first electronic computer was available. Use the tables for your first few years of diving, it is a skill that you need to know, and may have to depend upon if a computer fails (not unheard of) during a dive. Keep a submersible set of tables in the pocket of your BC.

Last edited:
My $0.02 to the OP...

- Exposure protection. As a diver in a cold water location, most of the complaints I get from students involve the fact that their wetsuit does not fit them properly or that they are too cold to actually enjoy their dives. While I have some very strong gear preferences, I can be happy in pretty much any type of rental BCD or regulator. However, I will piss and moan like you wouldn't believe if I have to wear a rental wetsuit. They never seem to fit right and I'm always colder than if I was wearing my own. Wetsuits generally don't have a lot of features/differences, so you also aren't going to decide that you really wanted a different style in a few years :D

- Regulators/computer. Most regulators on the market will serve you well for years of recreational diving with proper maintenance, and most recreational dive computers have every feature you could ever need for a while (nitrox, etc.). I wish I could say that all dive shops take fantastic care of their rental regulators, but that would be a lie... Pick a model from a reputable brand that you can get serviced in your local area that is in your price point. Take care of it well. That regulator/computer will work well for years to come.

- BCD. I have this last on the list, purely because there are more stylistic choices when it comes to BCDs than any other piece of gear. Try the different styles (jacket, back inflate, BPW) out before you buy. Otherwise when you decide in a year that you want something other than what you purchased, you will have wasted a large amount of money. As long as you aren't extremely small, most dive shops will have a BCD that fits you reasonably well. Try the different styles, and see how your buoyancy is different in each. Then make a decision based upon what feels best to you! If you can't find a place that rents BPW kits, bug someone on here that is in your local area about trying one :wink:

Last edited:
You are getting tons of good advice. If you are leaning toward a reg purchase there are some awesome deals at this moment that if they had been available a few months back I totally would have jumped on:

Beaverdivers close out scubapro regs
Northeast scuba supply sale on apeks regs

Some gear obviously costs more than other gear so depending on how much you can afford, that might dictate what you buy. The regulator will be the most costly when you look at purchasing the octopus, pressure gauge,compass and/or computer at the same time.

YOUR FIRST SET OF GEAR

I bought a less expensive regulator when I was shopping for my first gear because I wanted to have all my gear and be able to go anytime I wanted. However, I ended up buying the regulator I REALLY wanted (US Divers Micra) 6 months later so the initial purchase was a waste of my money. If there is a specific piece of gear you know you want....save up, wait and get it.

Check with your local dive store and ask about what gear they service, many used BCD's can be a good value and will last many years after you purchase - my ex sister in law is still diving on my old BC (it was 6 yrs old when I gave it to her and it is now 15 yrs old). Try on if you can before buying something online to insure proper fit. Good luck and good shopping!

Yes, seriously. Do some reading, don't just ask the same question. Again. What is the purpose of SB anyway?

Colliam, No-one's forcing you to read and/or respond to these posts if you're time is too precious. This is a "special rules" forum.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I dropped by my LDS yesterday and picked up a pair of well used, but usable pair of fins for $30. They even chipped in new straps.

An exposure suit rental is $40/day, which makes up most of the total rental cost. A wetsuit I could only use in the summer here as the water is very cold in the fall/winter, so it would be best to get a dry suit instead. These don't come by cheap locally, and the cheapest suit I found online was $1000. I haven't been diving yet so I'm going to put these expensive purchases aside for a while. I just thought about getting small things, like maybe a weight belt and weights, and a computer, as I can pick up a Mares Puck for $200. The LDS is having a clearance sale so I can pick up a Mares BCD for around $180. Maybe I should check with the LDS first to determine if I can afford to buy from them or buy elsewhere. Out of all the gear what is the piece that gets serviced the most?

Lots of good advice. Unless you have lots of $, buy good used stuff that fits well (try it out in the shop). Rinse it all (well) after each dive and most of it will last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom