what funny things have you seen kitting up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, speaking from experience, with just one fin you can put your legs together & do sort of a dolphin (butterfly stroke) kick. On re-reading the last question, I see it is for diving with HALF a fin....I don't know HOW one would swim then...but I think (??) the poster meant just 1 fin?

Part of our BOW was making sure we could swim with just one fin in case we lost the other - I assume everyone gets to do that - it was fun watching everyone go in circles lol.

Great stories!

We've seen the backwards wetsuit, the missing mask, and the missing fins. Those seem to be pretty popular. We've also seen the snorkel descent and giant stride--nothing like a lung full of water.

The funniest thing we saw, though, happened to our nitrox instructor. Now, in his defense, he is a good diver. He just had a bad day. We were on a boat and the crew had set up tanks on the ride out to the site. We got to the site and anchored. Our instructor grabbed his bc, hit the inflator button, and threw the bc in the water (he was planning to kit up in the water). It was everything we could do to restrain the laughter when we saw the look on his face as his bc sank to the bottom. As it turns out, the crew turned the air off because we still had an hour to the dive site. Our instructor hit the inflator button and he got the phoosh sound from the air left in the hose. Of course, it wasn't enough to inflate the bc enough to make it buoyant on the surface. Fortunately, the bottom was only about 25 feet on that side of the boat and one of us was able to retrieve his bc and bring it to the surface. He didn't do too well hiding his embarassment, though.

Just saw this yesterday on a boat. One of the boat crew was going to do a dive, setting up his gear, and forgot to attach the regulator to the tank. He puts on the bungeed necklace and starts to get in the BC. Another crew members asks him how he is planning on diving with his regulator like that. And he says that he likes it like that. Gets the BC on and then gets mad. "If you would stop worrying about my regulator so much maybe you could have told me I forgot my weightbelt." Takes his BC off, and the other crew member said. "Well I just couldn't get over your regulator setup" Half the boat is laughing at him now and he's going "What?" Then he finally notices

my personal favorite is divers jumping in with their convenience zipper open....

makes up a bit for not having the same option (as a girl..)

i've done a few, and can see how some real brilliant ones can happen... putting a tank on o-ring out, and reversing the high pressure side, so the hoses are backwards is a bit too easy to not catch... and i've had a pair of fins become split fins when the glue between the hard plastic and silicone let go... had to go to the car, dig thru my reenacting stuff for a leather awl and artificial sinew and stitch them back... still holding... always good is the overconfident diver who ignores the boat captains advice and ends up aborting the dive [what current?... the neighboring boat downstream brought him back]....

alikws:
..snip..
always good is the overconfident diver who ignores the boat captains advice and ends up aborting the dive [what current?... the neighboring boat downstream brought him back]....

I see this a lot up in the Northeast of Brazil where there is great diving, but often a good surface current running. Anyway, on a day with a 3+ knot surface current, duly mentioned in the briefing where it was clearly mentioned that divers should enter the water jumping towards the safety line and then grab it, one know-it-all decides to kit up in the water. So he throws his gear in the water and calmly turns round to look for his fins. Of course by then his gear is rapidly drifting away and needs a zodiac recovery....
What a jerk!
Unfortunately we see this behaviour all the time from "advanced" divers that have never been out of protected waters.

NOVIZWHIZ:
Same guy - used to hang his suit in the hallway of his house to dry out after a dive...got up in the middle of the night half asleep to tinkle, stepped out of his bedroom and in the dark bumped into the suit, arms wrapped around his head...he thought he was being attacked by burglar...wife flipped on the light he's wrestling this thing on the floor....wife claimed the suit was winning.

I can identify with both those stories! I've had to stay "cool" on a dock many times to work my head through the seal. My suit used to hang in a noisy machinery room. At the end of a 12 hours shift its presence alarmed me many times. Thanks for the memory.
DOn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom