what funny things have you seen kitting up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley:
On a dive this past July I observed a fellow diver put on his wet suit. It went on just fine right up to the point where he reached down to his crotch and zipped it up to his chin. Would have been fine, except he had the suit on backwards and the zipper belongs in the back.

Been there, done that. I suspected it might be wrong (shortie, no kneepads, but it was choking me) and so asked hubby. He was too busy checking out the teen hotties on the other side of the boat complaining that their suits were too tight in the chest and said "Mmm hmm, it's fine, hon." That's the last time I'll go without checking it myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With over 5,000 dives, I've seen most of the "unique" configurations mentioned above...at least, the warm water ones. I've seen divers try to put their tank "in" the BCD...where your body is supposed to be. Regulators set up every conceivable way...upside down, backwards (so yoke screw is going INTO the tank where the air is supposed to come out.) LP inflators: I've seen people try to attach them 1) at the top (shoulder) on the inflator assembly and 2) onto the burst disk protruding from the side of the tank valve. People trying to put legs into wetsuit arm holes....doesn't usually work very well, except for circus performers/contortionists. Octopus: worst I saw was a diver descending on the line, octopus instead of primary (no big deal, same air)...Octo upside down (and not the "either way up is ok" sort...so she was getting about 50/50 air/water)...and, best of all... the octo was still attached to the BCD by a snorkel keeper...so she had her head twisted down almost to her chest. Maybe one of the afore-mentioned contortionists. Mask: friend of mine (you know who you are!) doing a night wreck dive WITHOUT a mask. Forgot it, so he & another instructor "buddy masked" sharing the mask throughout the dive. On a related note, I had trouble once clearing my mask...something which is normally no problem whatsoever. Couldn't figure out why the stupid thing wouldn't clear. Turned out one of the lenses had fallen out, ha ha. WEIGHT BELTS: Prepared a 3kg/7lb belt for one of my divers years ago. Prior to the dive, he grabbed a 7kg/16lb belt instead. Made a quick descent! COMBO: diver doing a surface navigation out to float with compass. Had the compass part down pat....except he 1) tried to do it w/out a regulator and 2) without his mask in place. Hard to see those tiny numbers w/out a mask.

Well, this is long enough...that covers a few of the odd things I've seen.

Iruka:
Mask: friend of mine (you know who you are!) doing a night wreck dive WITHOUT a mask. Forgot it, so he & another instructor "buddy masked" sharing the mask throughout the dive.

I like that one!

DORSETBOY:
I like that one!
I thought about it and decided that I would be willing to do this to save the dive.
Is that bad?

seen someone forget to wear their mask, they were first to be ready and didn't want to wait with their sunglasses off so they left them on. got a shock when he hit the water though!

Fly N Dive:
seen someone forget to wear their mask, they were first to be ready and didn't want to wait with their sunglasses off so they left them on. got a shock when he hit the water though!

"Someone??" Dude, we've seen your avitar!

Fly N Dive:

Yeah, noah, as well, i remember you jumoing in with your sunglasses, not your mask....

no i brought my sunglassed for fun (see avitar) on the last dive, i brought my mask as well and switched between them. i even ziptied the thing that goes around the back of your head to keep the glasses on to my 1st stage! what you cant see is my mask in my left hand! :crafty:

the incident i was refering to happened when i did my ow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom