What Fundies did for us

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's going to be interesting is whether after the course you and Emily continue to rigidly adhere to the GUE system, or whether you make some allowances for the real world, especially in places like Bali.
I dive with GUE buddies and with non GUE buddies. When I dive with GUE buddies I adhere GUEEDGE and all other GUE procdures very strict. When I dive with non GUE buddies I do my personal pre dive check GUE way (incl. gas analysis, free long hose, valve check, etc.). I do an informal GUEEDGE with my buddies (most of the time they don't understand exactly why I'am doing it this way, but they seem to like it that way :cool:). I also plan deeper/more challenging dives GUE style together with my buddies. So in a way I deviate from the GUE way in these cases, but not by much.

Congrats with your fundies, its always nice to hear of people taking the opportunity to engage in further training, whatever the agency and level.

Certainly fundies is something I've considered, I'm always open to having my basics like fin kicks, trim etc reviewed and improved but at the moment I'm still somewhat of a GUE agnostic. I guess I need to find a GUE person sit them down for a beer and have a long deep chat for me to understand better and clear things up in my head.

Regarding the comments about diving in Asia etc, I do it regularly. I've never had any issues testing my own tanks etc. I always overcome gear setting up by making out that I'm helping them, not to worry about me and generally being friendly.

If they truly insist then I let them do their thing and then if necessary I make adjustments, I've never had real issues anywhere though.

And Fundies is where I got disciplined about analysis. I don't know what it is, but after Doug's class, I knew I would always analyze my tanks.

Jon Gol did it for me. Unfortunately, not all of our friends are as careful about that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom