what dry suits are used by professionals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Well there was a reason but it was removed, forever lost in cyberspace.

Ed

Better be prepared to spend some serious cash man.... those DUI suits are some serious BANK... some over 2G's...

I'll pass thanks...

Ed, please e-mail it to me, I'd like to see it too :D

Mario,

Ed may be talking about the recent "e-war" mounted against DUI by a disgruntled suit purchaser. The guy's main beef seem to be that he thought DUI "special production" dry suits were truly custom suits. In fact, as you likely already know, DUI has about 100 suit patterns -- a special production suit consists of taking someone's measurements and then selecting the pattern that works best for the given body type.

Anyway, apparently this guy was unhappy about that and had some other complaints (boots didn't fit, hole in the suit, wanted a full refund but this is not DUI policy -- hard to understand who was really at fault on these issues). That being said, DUI and the dealer apparently tried to rectify the situation, but the guy was irate. He and a cohort proceeded to swamp the DUI message board with a TON of messages about how how DUI is hiding the truth and how Dick Long is ignoring this issue, blah, blah, blah. DUI finally had to shut its message board down, and it remains down. Susan Long-Holland posted messages on the DUI message board and scubadiving.com trying to lay out the facts, apologizing for the situation and re-stating their commitment to making customers happy.

They (the "perps" as I'll call them) also gathered the e-mail addresses of EVERY person who had ever posted on the DUI message board (including me -- I posted 1 question many months ago) and began sending e-mail messages to everyone on this list filled with the same anti-DUI propaganda and asking every recipient to send a message to a certain e-mail address to get the "truth" about DUI.

The perps also showed up on scubadiving.com with their anti-DUI message, but they were shouted down VERY quickly -- too many happy/loyal DUI customers out there.

If you want to see more:
http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=341164&t=341164

Then try:
http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=341888&t=341888

For a parody of these guys that appeared on scubadiving.com (they really came across as crazy):
http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=342013&t=342013

Finally -- a response from the dealer that sold TZ the suit:
http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=344477&t=344477

You'll see my name over there a few times -- I was getting sick of their endless e-mails...and I don't even own a DUI suit yet!

Happy reading.

I don't think I've heard that question before. Dry suits are kind of tricky to get used to, and I think they require a fair amount of practice to keep your skills tuned. Using a dry suit is second nature to me since that's all I use, but I wonder if someone could use one only a few times a year and remain proficient in its use. I guess you would almost certainly get it eventually.

As for the suit, I don't think I would recommend an expensive suit nor a neoprene suit for just occasional use. Probably a trilam like a Harveys or White. Unfortunately, cheap suits are often "cheap" suits. Sometimes you can find Viking Pro's for $1000 -- a real steal.

I might suggest a semi-dry suit as a good alternative.

Mike

Hey Pete, I used to use the CF200x but decided to go for the new 200x Signature Series suit that they have. It's lighter than the old stuff, and has some bells and whistles that the old stuff didn't come with like the Zipper Guard, Pockets, Warm Neck Hood etc. And yes they are expensive... no one disputes that. Even at a Key-Man cost price which is 50% off of retail, it can still be costly. I've been buying too many other toys(like a new laptop) to spend the money on the new suit now, but will eventually.

Here in Massachusetts shell suits such as the Dacor and Bare were selling for around $1300 during spring of 2000. DUI suits were generally much more expensive. But after checking a few dives stores I found on that offered DUI suits for the same prices as the lesser suits in other shops. I'm now very happy with my DUI Flex 50/50. You may be surprised the deals you can find by shopping around a bit.

Ralph

Hello,

No the thing that I was trying to get across (it's funny laugh!) is that DUI stands for Driving Under the Influence and to NOT do it! :wink:

Seriously tho, I have no gripe with DUI (dry suit company).

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom