What does "thermo" mean in the description of an isolation manifold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidFL

Wide-eyed nube in the Pub
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I haven't bought a manifold since 1971 when I twinned up two LP50's. Is there a solid technical description of the difference between a "thermo" manifold and a garden-variety-non-thermo manifold?

I haven't bought a manifold since 1971 when I twinned up two LP50's. Is there a solid technical description of the difference between a "thermo" manifold and a garden-variety-non-thermo manifold?
Thermo is a manufacturer of valves/manifolds.

Only difference is who manufactured it. There are isolation manifolds out there branded by Thermo, XS Scuba, Blue Steel, DGX, Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, etc, etc. They vary slightly from each other but functionally are the same ... a left post and a right post connected by a center isolator.

Thermo is a manufacturer of valves/manifolds.

I had started to reach that conclusion, but then I find "XS Scuba thermo" and some other uses of the term. Was trying to figure out if it is some licensed technology other than a brand.

just like masks or gauges, or many other items, there are a few actual manufacturers, who make products for the various brands.

The internals vary somewhat between some of the brands and therefore have different rebuild kits, but they are all functionally the same. The differences are minor or in many cases, cosmetic, but are not functionally significant.

The confusion is caused by XS Scuba. XS Scuba doesn't make any products, they resell other companies' products. In the case of valves, XS Scuba resells valves manufactured by Thermo. I have some tanks sold by XS Scuba and my tanks were manufactured by Worthington.

Actually, I guess it's possible XS Scuba makes some products. I do know they don't make tanks or valves. :)

Last edited:
The confusion is caused by XS Scuba. XS Scuba doesn't make any products, they resell other companies' products. In the case of valves, XS Scuba resells valves manufactured by Thermo. I have some tanks sold by XS Scuba and my tanks were manufactured by Worthington.

Actually, I guess it's possible XS Scuba makes some products. I do know they don't make tanks or valves. :)

Not exactly true. Yes, XS Scuba resells Thermo valves. But they also have XS Scuba brand valves which are not just re-branded Thermos. They are of a different design with different internals. I'm not sure who exactly manufactures them for XS Scuba, but they are XS Scuba branded valves and manifolds. With respect to tanks, you are correct. XS Scuba were the exclusive distributor of Worthington tanks and they also are the distributor for Luxfer as well.

See these articles on the XS Scuba website:

Valves

Valve-Difference

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom