what does an unadjusted IP symptoms be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the IP isn't right, the reg might malfunction. Maybe it will free-flow violenty, maybe it won't flow air at all. I would suggest taking the propper training before messing with any regs.

If the IP is stable but outside the spec range, then 2nd stage performance may suffer. A 2nd stage is designed to receive and regulate gas at a specific pressure range. The spring is designed to work best in that range and provide the designed flow rates. Balanced 2nds should be a bit less sensitive to the IP spec than unbalanced models. If the IP gets far enough out of range, it should eventually exceed the adjustment ability of the 2nds stage(s). Too low may result in higher cracking pressures and lower gas flow increasing overall work of breathing. To high could result in freeflow problems and may also increase WOB as it will take more force to continue moving the spring to allow sufficient gas flow. This should be most noticeable in unbalanced 2nds where the metal spring does all the work to counter the gas downstream force.

The 2nds problem is unstable IP. That is usually IP that drifts higher rather than locking up. As the IP gets higher, it will eventually overpower the 2nd (or some other downstream device) and result in a freeflow. Most regs will continue to work OK for a while with unstable IP as your breathing will relieve to excess pressure before a freeflow occurs. But the problem doe3s not go away on its own. Service, either parts replacement or cleaning, is required.

The only thing I can add to awap's great answer is there would be no damage to any of the reg parts simply from adjusting the IP even a good bit outside of the manuf specs. While a pain in the rear, there would be no damage to the reg itself....to the yoyo who set it that way...well that might be a different story. :)

Thanks all for the great answers, to clarify the situation, the IP adjustment is externally accessible, when I first got the reg, I accidentally changed the IP but then I got an IP gauge and fixed it back to the manufacturer specs.
I am experiencing some wet breathe (asked about that in another post) and I was wondering if this can be caused by the fact that the IP is not 100% what it should be..... anyway, seems not according to your replies and the replies I got in the other post about wet breathe.

Thanks all for the great answers, to clarify the situation, the IP adjustment is externally accessible, when I first got the reg, I accidentally changed the IP but then I got an IP gauge and fixed it back to the manufacturer specs.
I am experiencing some wet breathe (asked about that in another post) and I was wondering if this can be caused by the fact that the IP is not 100% what it should be..... anyway, seems not according to your replies and the replies I got in the other post about wet breathe.

Then 30 lashes with a wet hood to you. :)

There are many things that could cause a wet breathing regulator. One way to eliminate some of the possible causes is to attempt to breathe from the second stage while either not being hooked up to a tank or turned off while not hooked to a tank. You should not be able to get a breath. If you do, I would suspect the diaphragm. There are some positions that will also cause some regs to breathe wet. I am sure I have seen a post regarding that topic somewhere here on the board.

Out of all the things that an incorrect IP can cause, wet breathing isn't one of them.

You either have a leak in the second stage (crack, leaking exhaust valve, diaphragm, etc.) or a really bad tank fill or are diving in an odd position with a reg that doesn't handle it well.

Terry

Getting that complaint numerous times at our repair dept most of the time it is a small tear in the mouthpiece.

Back
Top Bottom