What does an annual cost you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only problem with the ebay logic is you need to find and "idiot" who will buy the HOG used :) If you factor in the price of the kits (which are not cheap for HOG) and labor to rebuild them the price of the off ebay HOG will be more than buying a new item. They are not of a collector value either so I'm not sure how this business model will work. So having that a cost of maintaining a HOG and maintaining a Scubapro or Apeks will be about the same it's just the initial cost of SP or Apeks here in NA will be higher, but then resale value of a SP/Apeks will be higher as well.

When I suggest replacing a Hog or anything for that matter, I'm not implying it's worn out junk, I'm just making an economic decision of whether it's better to repair something or replace something. If something is $1000 and $100 to repair and something else is $300 and $100 to repair it's much closer. Now throw in resale values on eBay and before you know it things start to make sense.

The only problem with the ebay logic is you need to find and "idiot" who will buy the HOG used :) If you factor in the price of the kits (which are not cheap for HOG) and labor to rebuild them the price of the off ebay HOG will be more than buying a new item. They are not of a collector value either so I'm not sure how this business model will work. So having that a cost of maintaining a HOG and maintaining a Scubapro or Apeks will be about the same it's just the initial cost of SP or Apeks here in NA will be higher, but then resale value of a SP/Apeks will be higher as well.

The buyer market may not be large but there are folks who can rebuild many regulators for under $5 per stage. It looks like HOG uses a standard "rivet style" LP seat in their balanced 2nd. These are pretty standard in balanced barrel poppet designs (Scubapro, Aqualung, and others) and can be found for a lot less than what you pay for a kit. I don't deal with diaphragm 1sts but that is another one where many share the same seat design and it is just a matter of determining compatibility. Trident sells HP and LP seats, filters and other soft parts for many of the designs. O-rings can be had for pennies each from a number of sources.

Let me know when you've got 6 years on your Hoggy without service if it makes it that long

Why does it need to go 6 years without service? SP regs don't do that? Sure they might be able to but why? Most divers get their regs serviced every year or two depending on use. So AFAIAC, let's see how the HOG regs perform after 6 years under typical use and abuse. Since my son was born my diving has cut back to likely no more than 50 dives per year but 4 years on my HOGS and they are still breathing just fine at all temperatures and depths that I expose them to.

The PRO-HOG and Anti-HOG dispute is full of radicals and extremists. You both create bull**** to prove your point. If your measurement of value is never having to service your regs, I will never consider renting equipment or buying a car from you.

Completed listings support the logic.

time to hit the ejection button - unsubscribing.........

I service all the regs(Apeks) myself.
How often? Depend on the IP and the general performance of the 2nd.
Buy the spare kit on line.

Back
Top Bottom