What do you use to stop your mask from fogging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaPrince

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im a year 12 student doing a Marine and Maritime studies course and one of my Assessments is about Anti-fog.

Im here to ask the community members what different methods you use or have heard of that works as an Anti-fog, i will be choosing a few unique products to see how effective they and if they are better then store bought.

I will leave my results of my Assessment after i have finished my Assessment.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

EDIT: Somethings that were suggested, Potatoes, Kelp, Spit, Dishwashing Liquid

~SeaPrince

Last edited:
Proper mask preparation (toothpaste scrub or flaming) followed by spit or baby shampoo... also good success with slimy water flotsam. I'll even use "real" defog if offered.

After proper initial prep of a new mask with toothpaste, etc., (I do this again before each dive trip, though not as thoroughly), i use a mixture of 1/3 Johnson's Gold Baby Shampoo and 2/3 water in a spray bottle. It works great!

Do not even think of using dishwashing liquid unless you want to burn your eyes. Bad choice as an anti-surfactant. Soap should be avoided for obvious reasons.

Google is your friend here. You will discover multiple commercial solutions all of which are effective. However: The most important factors contributing to anti-surfactant efficacy are initial mask preparation and physical application of the anti-surfactant.

If you're experimenting, why not try Rain-X and let us know how that works. I'm curious...

Toothpaste on a new mask (paste, not gel) then spit. Never found a commercial product that works better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom