What do you use to get rid of the 'old pickle' taste of salt water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you use to get rid of the 'old pickle' taste of salt water?

While I prefer Redman Totem for it's moisturizing qualities, I now use a fine cut, like SKOAL or Copenhagen.
I sneezed & plugged my exhaust diaphraghm open using the leaf variety once, it was a real annoyance.
If you're taking a micro brew along, be sure it has twist off caps & not the pry off variety.

:mean:

Bob3 once bubbled...

If you're taking a micro brew along, be sure it has twist off caps & not the pry off variety.

I get it -twist off the cap in your mouth, right?
Interesting physics involved here, a fizzy drink would be pretty docile at depth of course, can you imagine the championship quality belch as you surface!
I've a feeling that somebody is going to post in and tell everyone not to try this:boom:
A handy tactic though if you surface amongst a group of elephant seals -or maybe not:bonk:
Phil TK

I've never noticed the pickle taste. never realy paid any attention to the seawater.

on the drinking and diving part:
never have, and not gonna mix alcohol and diving

however, i have been known to chug a root beer seconds before hitting the water. the trip down suppresses everything.
and yes, it does give you some championship belches when you resurface.

:cheers:

:puke:

:spew:

Jolly Ranchers are second choice, the soft Starbursts are my first.
Walter once salivated...
Nothing beats peach Jolly Ranchers when you can find them, trouble is, I haven't seen any in about 10 years.
Walter, scubaturek lives about 1 mile from the factory, you want us to sent you a care package?

Roak

Bob3 once bubbled...

While I prefer Redman Totem for it's moisturizing qualities, I now use a fine cut, like SKOAL or Copenhagen.
I sneezed & plugged my exhaust diaphraghm open using the leaf variety once, it was a real annoyance.

You're the man! Except that I kind of like the taste of saltwater - it reminds me how much fun I'm having. On the other side of the coin, a camelback full of hopswater might be more fun than should be legal...

Steven

An "informal study" done by USN divers during the SeaLab project indicated that while carbonated containers were no longer "pressurized" at depth (cans would inhale when opened) the liquid inside maintained the carbonation in solution, effectively "tasting" fizzy.
The same should hold true if using a Camelback down say, 20+ feet.
*burrp*
:eek:ut:

Bob has it right.....fresh pineapple chunks are THE BEST for the salt taste problem some folks find very obnoxious. I've known people that actually felt nauseated from the taste.

Next best choice is fresh orange slices.

Then there's folks like me that smoke so much they can't taste anything right, be it a good steak or salt water.

i have not really noted it to much, but have a pop or such in the car for right after....and i dont get to much salt in my mouth anymore....

on a slightly different subject, has anybody used the drink setups for scuba(camelback style and other types) and did they like them and do they still use them?

Bob3 once bubbled...
An "informal study" done by USN divers during the SeaLab project indicated that while carbonated containers were no longer "pressurized" at depth (cans would inhale when opened) the liquid inside maintained the carbonation in solution, effectively "tasting" fizzy.
The same should hold true if using a Camelback down say, 20+ feet.
*burrp*
:eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom