What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. I don't know if we spoke with the same Whites representatives. On two separate occasions (Whites demo days), I was told that the waterproof barrier on the Fusion is made of a bilaminate material. I agree that this is probably not a big deal, since the outer skin provides some abrasion resistance. Moreover, I haven't heard of the material on a Fusion delaminating since the suit has made its debut...but the suit hasn't been on the market for that long.

It's certainly possible that the Fusion bilam is different from the problematic bilam to which TSandM was referring.

My drysuit (Bare Nex-Gen Pro) is technically a bilaminate shell suit. I haven't had any issues with the material breaking down, but then again I've only put a couple of hundred dives on the suit (purchased new approx. 5 years ago). :idk:

I just couldn't specifically remember if it was a bilaminate Given some of it's make-up it may have been a whole other animal. The bag is certainly different as it's inconceivable to me that a plain bilaminate suit would be so thin. The guy did really tout it as a new breakthrough material. He talked a lot about the strength of the fabric and the urethane waterproof coating.

I went to the Demo in June of 2008 and the suit had some good exposure before then so I'm guessing it's been on the streets for 30 months now. Not forever but a while.

Pete

Bubbletrubble, that's precisely why I have heard that bilam material can be problematic -- the Fusion IS a bilaminate, and when it came out, lots of people were warning that bilams delaminate and can't be fixed, and saying that I might well end up with a useless suit in a couple of years. I decided that, at the price and with a three year warranty, I was willing to take the chance. I have not heard of ANY delamination problems with the Fusion material so far.

Talking to the Whites guy I got the impression it was a coated fabric (like tent material on steroids) , not a lamination of a urethane sheet onto the fabric. As such I wouldn't consider it a true laminate where solids are married. there were 2 materials so call it what you want. The benefit of the coating is inherent bonding through impregnation.

Pete

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!

--TFLARIS, the semi-dry suit is a great idea, I actually own a Henderson semi-dry and it has kept me nice and warm in some really cold places. I would probably be fine diving with it for a long time to come, like I said this is definately in the want not need category.

--TSANDM, actually I am a student...a 36 year old student, but I am in school / working full time with two sons, so money is an issue and this is a great deal. I had heard about troubles with bi-lam material before, I was unsure if that was still a problem. Then again $499 is a little less then I paid for my semi-dry almost ten years ago. I didn't even consider valve selection. What type of valve should I look for?

--SPECTRUM, I dive with a Transpac so I am able to adjust to accomadate the extra bulk, I was considering using some cold weather gear I have for sking as underwear, I've been told not to use anything cotton as that jams up the valves, any truth to this?

--Everyone Else, thanks for the input!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom