What do you think of my gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O rly? These 56 year old legs certainly don't think so. I can usually do two 60 minute dives on a single 120. Why double the weight? Now, I did have a pair of 72s that I dove double for a long time but I like 'em better for sidemount.

Well i did say almost everything. Personally my 22 year old legs dont mind some AL80's, they start to mind LP 114 or bigger. i see your point though, it will be a miricale if i even want to get out of bed at 56, im lazy :/ .

Did you start out with the gear you're diving now?

Pretty much. Only replaced some cheap rec lights (less than $100), got bigger SMBs, and one set of cheap fins ($50). Oh, and BCD which I bought used, but which was back inflate. Everything else was tech friendly to start, but perfectly suited to rec diving.

The point being that you can buy gear now that will be suitable for more advanced diving later, which is also perfectly suitable to rec diving. And the advantage is a lower learning curve when transitioning to more advanced diving as the gear is already familiar. I would advise all new divers to take this view. And tech friendly doesn't mean more expensive.

From the original post: "I have a wetsuit mask and boots already but everything else I need." At least read the original post before you comment on it.

You got me. I read the "but" as "and" when I read it.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2013 at 11:06 PM ----------

The point being that you can buy gear now that will be suitable for more advanced diving later, which is also perfectly suitable to rec diving. And the advantage is a lower learning curve when transitioning to more advanced diving as the gear is already familiar. I would advise all new divers to take this view. And tech friendly doesn't mean more expensive.

So she should skip the BP/W & go side mount?

I no longer believe in the approach "something simple for the start". I is a waste of money. A diver who wants to dive few times a year just for etertainment doesn't really need his/her own gear except for a mask, may be. Rental gear is good enough and frees you from rinsing, drying, transporting, etc. Someone who considers to own personal gear, probably will develop a passion and could save a lot of money by trying to envisage the future right from the start. For instance, regulators last for decades. I would buy a cold water reg, even if my present plan is tropical diving. You can always use a cold water reg in tropics but not vice versa. Had I started to buy gear with the knowledge I have now, I would skip the jacket and buy a BP&W - or may be even go straight to sidemount, as I also want to dive caves some day. Alas, now I can sadly look at a big box of gear I don't use and think of the things I could buy for that money... I agree with Imla - the principle - stop, think, act - is salutary also for buying gear.

As to the OP, check out also Mares Avanti Quattro Plus. These are excellent fins for different purposes, especially for wetsuit diving.

Backplate: $100
Wing: $150
Fins: $125
Bottom Timer: $200
Reg set: $300-500
SPG: $50
Lights: $200

So for $1,200-$1,500 she can own reliable gear that she does dives 16-1600 without needing to upgrade, regardless if she does cave, tech, or stays with recreational diving. Plus it's super easy to pack, packing a BC is a PITA compared to a BP/W.

Since changing to this gear, I've done 1,000+ dives in all of the above and it's easily changed or added to depending on the dive. WHY BUY GEAR TWICE????

Video3.jpg

Backplate: $100
Wing: $150
Fins: $125
Bottom Timer: $200
Reg set: $300-500
SPG: $50
Lights: $200

So for $1,200-$1,500 she can own reliable gear that she does dives 16-1600 without needing to upgrade, regardless if she does cave, tech, or stays with recreational diving. Plus it's super easy to pack, packing a BC is a PITA compared to a BP/W.

Since changing to this gear, I've done 1,000+ dives in all of the above and it's easily changed or added to depending on the dive. WHY BUY GEAR TWICE????

Video3.jpg

The gear she has is reliable. Since I own everything from an AL Zuma to SS full tech plates and doubles I can actually compare the pieces and weigh them. The AL Zuma, for example, is 4.5 pounds and rolls not much larger than a t shirt. I hardly think it is a PITA to pack compared to a BP/wing. Compared to the rig in your photo it is much lighter and easier to pack. But, my Oxy on vdh universal plate does pack very easy as well compared to the stainless steel plate and that huge wing tacoed around your tank.

On ANSTI testing her AL Titan XL was rated superior and had better numbers than the vaunted SP G250. Her regulator is fine and I am quite sure Apollo splits can do dives 16 through 1,600 just fine also. Not everybody is into the "tech" look and simply want functional equipment.

N

I dove a BP&Wing for years. I can't remember the last time I actually dove one. It's been at least two years and that was for back mounted doubles. It's been four or more years since I dove BP&Wings on a single. I agree that they are not that good for traveling.

I agree that they are not that good for traveling.

I have no problem traveling with mine, and it carries all my expensive, fragile equipment.

attachment.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom