What do you think. My First Wreck Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluenose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was diving yesterday out of NY on what some call the Mystery Wreck instead of the Stolt. On the way out a guy (Nick) asks everyone, "I'm looking for a buddy and it's my first dive since getting certified last week in OW." People ignored him and my pals muttered comments like how is he here. After a while our click started discussing plans. I was going in a three until I decided to help this guy Nick out and offered to be his buddy. He bit my hand off and later told me there was another guy needs a buddy but had some dive experience (six and I don't know the places he mentioned). So I told him to join us as well. Nick was nervous on the boat so I told him to relax if you keep calm and thinking about being calm we will be OK. On the dive he got down and he yo yo'd more down onto the wreck he was trying to compensate by swiming up. I run a line and they kept very close like sheep and when we got back to the anchor line I signaled them to dump air as we ascended. All went well and Nick I have to say, handled himself really well.
2nd dive I was comfortable to not run the reel and we toured across the wood framing of the wreck. I had to reach in and get hold of his inflator and show him to put more air in in short bursts with seconds between them. Good dive was had, and he couldn't thank me enough afterwards.
After it was over my pals thought I was stupid for doing that. They said he had no buisness on the boat and although he done well today he will they predicted freak out on a dive in the near future. What do you say?

What do I think?

I think you were a good ambassador to SCUBA, I think that guy had a day he'll probably tell his kids about. I think he's probably still smiling about his dives, and he may well be one of the new divers that stays with the sport rather than talking about what a bunch of bungholes those divers on the boat were.

In other words, nice job! :D

What PerroneFord said!

I dive with new divers quite a bit. I'm always worrying about my ability to judge when I'm taking them some place they shouldn't go. I once took an "instant budy" on what I thought was a very conservative dive plan (go down the anchor line, stay within sight of the line and come up the chain at turn around PSI) but the 80 foot depth was far greater then his experiance level and he paniced and almostr killed himself by bolting to the surface. The trouble is how to know if it will go well.

I belong to a group that dives evey Weds. night. We have new divers join us all the time but we have to be carfull. I'll go with a newdiver but only if the surf is down, viz is at least about 5 feet and then we match hiom up with an experianced buddy then just cuise around at 30 feet on the first dive.

bluenose:
I was diving yesterday out of NY on what some call the Mystery Wreck instead of the Stolt. On the way out a guy (Nick) asks everyone, "I'm looking for a buddy and it's my first dive since getting certified last week in OW." People ignored him and my pals muttered comments like how is he here. After a while our click started discussing plans. I was going in a three until I decided to help this guy Nick out and offered to be his buddy. He bit my hand off and later told me there was another guy needs a buddy but had some dive experience (six and I don't know the places he mentioned). So I told him to join us as well. Nick was nervous on the boat so I told him to relax if you keep calm and thinking about being calm we will be OK. On the dive he got down and he yo yo'd more down onto the wreck he was trying to compensate by swiming up. I run a line and they kept very close like sheep and when we got back to the anchor line I signaled them to dump air as we ascended. All went well and Nick I have to say, handled himself really well.
2nd dive I was comfortable to not run the reel and we toured across the wood framing of the wreck. I had to reach in and get hold of his inflator and show him to put more air in in short bursts with seconds between them. Good dive was had, and he couldn't thank me enough afterwards.
After it was over my pals thought I was stupid for doing that. They said he had no buisness on the boat and although he done well today he will they predicted freak out on a dive in the near future. What do you say?

Was this your first wreck dive also??

While you may have taken a chance, I wouldn't say you were stupid.
On the positive side, you may have cultivated a new wreck diver who will be looking to come out again, learn more, and become more profcient.

On behalf of all new divers, thank you!
When I was a newbie, I had great mentors that were willing to dive with me and give me pointers, and that's why I'm still diving. Your help may have made the difference between a newbie that gets more training and keeps diving, and one who gives it up. Good for you!

No this was around my 80th wreck dive. 100+ logged cold water dives.

Nick was certainly out of line, going out on a boat dive without a buddy fresh out of OW class without a buddy. It sounds like you did a good deed, as others have said. I'm not sure I would have done the same.
I can remember my first real wreck / boat dive. I probably had 15-20 dives in so I was still pretty green. The newness of everything, gearing up on a pitching boat, rolling in over the side, trying not to make a fool out of myself. :wink: I made some mistakes, but I was glad to have a buddy to show me the ropes. That was the first of many many wreck dives that got me hooked :D

Bluenose, Thanks for doing the right thing by the new diver.

I dive off my own boat and I love to take new divers with me. I love to watch the amazement at the undersea world new divers show, and I love to hear them talk about the dive the whole way back to the dock. It kills me to read the threads bashing new divers. We all had to start learning somewhere, and some like the fellow you helped, don't have a friend/spouse to dive with and must learn things the hard way.

I am not familiar with the Stolt so I Googled it and see it is at 130’. Is that right?

I admit that on my first wreck dive I was only OW certified but had 40 logged dives and was very comfortable with my gear. My dive buddy and I had worked what we thought was a solid plan to touch the deck at 89’. On board we were fortunate to meet a guy named Charlie “Wing Nut” who had over 100 dives on this wreck. He let us explain our plan and helped us change a few things. He went about his dive and we did ours although I noticed him checking up on us more then once. It was a great dive and I welcomed his advice.

All that said, 130’ with Ocean currents, low vis, cold water, first wreck, etc…I would have been VERY hesitant about this guy diving and even more hesitant about him diving as a third wheel with someone and possibly slipping through the cracks. I think you did the right thing in watching out for him. It really pisses my off to see the guy on board with the full kit acting like an *** to everyone because he thinks he is Poseidon incarnate. If other divers don’t appear to be on an equal level, they don’t exist and are not worthy of advice.

I know some are going to say he was the Captains problem and should not have been on board. Also, that you all paid for a dive and should not have to baby sit. Agreed!

There are three types of people in this world: Wolves, Sheep Dogs, and Sheep. Like many others we will always be Sheep Dogs, it’s who we are.

Good Job!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom