What do you take with you when you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norboo

Registered
Reaction score
I hear most places do not allow you to take a knife. What do you take? Shear? Something along the lines of Leatherman?

What else do you take with you when you dive?

wetnotes
spool
dive tables
timing device (watch)
bottom timer
compass
primary light and 2 backups
my buddy carries a spare mask, but i haven't bought mine yet
cutting tool (knife)

in the ocean a surface marker (lift bag)

First and foremost, a camera!

I've not heard of anywhere not allowing a knife. I have one (the Remora) permanently strapped to my low pressure inflator hose. Works well as a tank banger too.

Other than that,
sausage and reel plus backup sausage ( i do mostly drift diving)
chemical marker
computer and spg
reg, fins, mask etc
That's it! The more simple the better

If im diving in the UK on a dive i have

Main torch (D8R)
Backup torch (SL6 in pocket)
DSMB and Reel
Spare DSMB
Spare mask
Knife (should be on leg but currently in pocket as strap snapped)
Computer
Watch
Backup tables
1m loop of webbing in drysuit pocket
Storm whistle (attached to BC)
Shoulder mount strobe (Attached to BC)
Occasionally slate
Occasionally camera
Thats on top of the regs,mask,fins,BC,hood,drysuit,gloves etc obviously.

Abroad in warm water where the diving is far easier i tend to manage with 1 torch, always take camera, never slate, never the webbing.

Norboo:
I hear most places do not allow you to take a knife. What do you take? Shear? Something along the lines of Leatherman?

Most places would be jails and airplanes. As far as diving goes very very few restrict the use of a knife.

Gary D.

Norboo:
I hear most places do not allow you to take a knife. What do you take?

Check your local laws/regulations. I have been on a few boats that said they were prohibited but I think this was the exception.

Charlie99:
Some marine parks, such as Cozumel prohibit not only knives but also gloves.

Curious as why the restriction on gloves? I have dove only a dozen times but always want something protecting my hands. The regulation states, "To carry gloves or knives". I won't be carrying them, I'll be wearing them!

Norboo:

Norboo,

I dive in Cozumel several times a year. They do not all gloves unless you are diving on the ship wreck. This is because it is a marine park and if several thousand divers a week were touching the coral it wouldn't last long. Dive knives are not normally carried but I do see some divers wearing one. I always carry a small dive reel with a 100 lb. yellow lift bag rolled up and tucked behind me.

I have also dove in Costa Rica, Cayman Islands, Jamacia and several states and have never been told that I could not wear a dive knife.

I seldom dive without my camera. In open water diving no extra backup lights or extra gear just the reel and lift bag. My wife carries an eras-a-slate magnetic board to communicate and a small dive light that she clips off and puts in her pocket when not in use.

Less is better when diving. The less mass you move through the water the less air you will burn. Also as your diving and buoyancy improve try diving with less weight.

Jim
Louisiana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom