What do you suggest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi evryone,

I would like you suggestions on what Reg I should be buying...!!

- I'm now open water certified and would like to get advenced next summer
- Now I only dive in the warm water during trip in the south but would like to start diving more in Canadian water.. much colder and maybe later under ice...
- I do around 20 to 30 dives a year
- budget around 800 to 1200$
- After my advance I would love to get shipwreck, nitrox and deep certification
- Maybe I'll buy a wireless dive computer later and maybe a Dry....

I would like to get a good reg that would safely follow me for couple of year !

I was suggested the new Aqualung titan LX 2012 or Apeks XTX200

What do I need?

Thanks

If you want to go with Apeks, you don't need to go with the XTX 200.

The combo XTX50/XTX40 (octo) with DS4 first stage is the best.

No compromise on the quality and a bit less expensive than the XTX200.

Works perfectly under the ice.

You won't outgrow them, even if you go down the technical road one day.

That's what I have and it works fine with me. For sure everybody will say that their own set of regs are the best.

If you know what direction you are heading into you can find gear to help you progress into that direction,

I agree with Xaryo the XTX50 is a great reg, the XTX200 is not any better of a reg IMO, However I would opt for the DTS (Turret Sealed 1st) as it is much easier to route hoses and if you end up going with twinsets later, this will be key. I have 3 DS4 given the chance to do over I would go for DST as they are the same internally as the DS4 with an added feature.

Regards

Kun

I like the DS4 and xtx50 for the performance and value.

+1 on the DST

I don't have DST, but I might get 2 of them for my sidemount rig or switching the DS4 of my twins to the DST with the 5th port and keep the DS4 for the SM.

For my stages, I have DS4 as first stage and TX40 as second stage.

I'm having great dives at the moment -6/12C with the Oceanic FDX10 dry sealed 1st stage and the EOS and the Delta 4 Hope it helps

Water's pretty cold here about now, around 39F. I use a Hollis DC2/221 with a 321 octo. Fantastic setup and works great in the cold water. Won't break the bank either.
Also, my girlfriend uses the HOG D1 set and loves it. Get it with the cold water kit and you're good to go. Will cost <$700 US

Don't forget to chose a brand that is easily serviced in your area.

From your location, I know there good dive shops in a 50km radius that sell and service Apekx/Aqualung.

DS-4 + 2 x XTX-50. The difference between the 50 and 40 is the self adjusted knob.
Apeks usually sell DS-4 on its own while the 50 series is always coupled with DST as a package.
I have been using DS-4 + TX-50 over 13 yrs.

one more thing, go with a DIN reg instead of a yok. it is the best in the long run and most of the new cylinder valves are convertible from YOk to DIN with an insert.

If you go south, you can always use an adapter as most place use yok valve. .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom