What do you recommend buying/not buying online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being military, I haven't had the luxury of living near the LDS'S where I purchased my equipment most of the time. I've never had problems getting things serviced, even before the times of Internet sales.
I never owned ScubaPro, so can't speak to that issue.

That's really an irreverent distinction and a red herring from the industry.

Your local shop doesn't care if you bought your stuff from the guy down the street or a push cart in NYC or from the moon, all he cares about is that you didn't buy it from him. That translates into actual folding green money that's not in his pocket. Jjust like you, he enjoys getting paid.

Feel free to buy anywhere you want, but realize that the laws of finance still apply: Businesses that don't make enough profit to stay open will close.

SCUBA shops go out of business every day. "find another LDS" is a nice phrase, but not especially useful if there was one shop in town and now there isn't.

You'll always be able to find equipment and service if you're willing pack it up and ship it out for service but that may not be as convenient as you might like.

flots.

i hear you but tell me... if i already bought the equipment from somebody else, and i come to you for service or whatever... do you think giving me a hard time is better or worse for your business?... if you give me a hard time guess what... you already lost the primary sale, i'd be hard pressed to do any business with you atall...

if you only have one LDS to choose from well then that's a monopoly and basically you're screwed as a consumer...
thats a tough situation and if i were in it i would probably have no choice but to buy locally

@ muzikbiz22
yes verifying authorized dealership is very important as well... most mfg have dealer locators now that help me with purchasing as well

and yes, you should what to support your LDS.. in my case i just couldn't afford to and of course he understood that...

i hear you but tell me... if i already bought the equipment from somebody else, and i come to you for service or whatever... do you think giving me a hard time is better or worse for your business?... if you give me a hard time guess what... you already lost the primary sale, i'd be hard pressed to do any business with you atall...

I never said it was "better" only that it happens.

Everything in life is a tradeoff. Only you can decide what it's worth to you to have your reg worked on by someone who's happy to see you, someone who's pissed off that you bought it somewhere else, or someone far away you'll never see.

flots.

I never said it was "better" only that it happens.

Everything in life is a tradeoff. Only you can decide what it's worth to you to have your reg worked on by someone who's happy to see you, someone who's pissed off that you bought it somewhere else, or someone far away you'll never see.

flots.

true... and i'd always prefer the first... and IF i was a business owner... i would also prefer that customers view me as the first...

but i get you.. reality is a different thing... so i guess it boils back down to an individuals situation should be taken into consideration to...

Hi all,

I recently got my AOW and have been gradually purchasing dive equipment. I've got the basic items you would need for AOW, along with a 7mm suit and a Lavacore suit (diving mainly in Lake Michigan locally).

For a birthday present, I got about $400 to an online retailer named after a large South American river. I'd like to use it toward a new piece of gear, but as I've done research on different pieces, I occasionally come across warnings about not buying from online retailers (due to warranty issues, authorized dealers, etc.).

I'm currently considering picking up one of a few of the pricier pieces of equipment, and I was wondering if any of you could offer advice on what you would or wouldn't buy online. (I generally support my LDS as much as possible, but I've got these gift cards.)

On a side note, here's what I'm looking at:
BCD - Scubapro Knighthawk w/ Air 2
Computer - Maybe a Pro Plus 2? (I'm completely lost on this one...need more advice)
Reg - Hollis 212 DC1

Any/all advice is welcome! Thanks.

Anything that requires fit I would not buy online unless you first had a chance to try it on somewhere and then know exactly the size you need.

w ripley:
Your credit card purchases give you a lot of control. I find I don't have that control with PayPal, so I stay away from it these days.

Could you eleborate on this, please? What control credit card purchases give that the PayPal doesn't?

I have had a good online experience with Scuba Toys, Dive Right In Scuba, Deep Sea Supply, Dive Gear Express. Yet, it is better not to buy online things like boots, fins and suchlike items that should fit.

Last edited:
You should be fine buying online. My opinion is to stay away from buying on eBay or Amazon.

Could you eleborate on this, please? What control credit card purchases give that the PayPal doesn't?.

Paypal isn't a bank or credit card company and isn't bound by the Fair Credit Billing Act, which is what gives you the ability to get your money back when the merchant doesn't hold up his end of the deal. They're not in a big hurry to get involved between the buyer and the seller, where your bank has a defined process they must follow.

Also, it's nearly impossible for a normal human to talk to a real person at Paypal who can help resolve an issue. If you call your bank, you might need to press a few buttons, but you can get a person.

flots.

Last edited:
Paypal isn't a bank or credit card company and isn't bound by the Fair Credit Billing Act, which is what gives you the ability to get your money back when the merchant doesn't hold up his end of the deal. They're not in a big hurry to get involved between the buyer and the seller, where your bank has a define dprocess they must follow.

Also, it's nearly impossible for a normal human to talk to a real person at Paypal who can help resolve an issue. If you call your bank, you might need to press a few buttons, but you can get a person.

flots.

Couldn't say it any better.

I've handled issues for people that did not get their items from me. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. And if I was an Aqualung or ScubaPro dealer and you bought it "grey market" I wouldn't give a rat's behind. You're in my store now.

I don't see "grey market". I see green as in cash in my place now. Where you spent it before I couldn't care less. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to treat you right and have you come back. And does anyone even believe for a second that the so-called grey market is really under the table and not in some way, somewhere authorized by somebody as far as the mfg is concerned? C'mon. Gimme a break.

You own a store now Jim? I thought you worked out of your dining room? :) Glad to see folks realize it is OK for a professional to charge a buck or two for their time. Can you imagine buying a case of motor oil and a filter at a discount house and asking your mechanic to install it for you? I try to be reasonable with those service fees, but they are justifiable. And I would never turn down service work as long as I have the parts and am competent in the work, heck that's good money.

I do not feel that anyone has to do business with me just so I won't go under. I have to earn every customer. But, I do ask that folks appreciate that it does cost a buck or two to provide some of those extra services; air fills, vip's, local diving expertise, custom fitting, etc. I try to run lean and stay competitive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom