What do you recommend buying/not buying online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bourj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I recently got my AOW and have been gradually purchasing dive equipment. I've got the basic items you would need for AOW, along with a 7mm suit and a Lavacore suit (diving mainly in Lake Michigan locally).

For a birthday present, I got about $400 to an online retailer named after a large South American river. I'd like to use it toward a new piece of gear, but as I've done research on different pieces, I occasionally come across warnings about not buying from online retailers (due to warranty issues, authorized dealers, etc.).

I'm currently considering picking up one of a few of the pricier pieces of equipment, and I was wondering if any of you could offer advice on what you would or wouldn't buy online. (I generally support my LDS as much as possible, but I've got these gift cards.)

On a side note, here's what I'm looking at:
BCD - Scubapro Knighthawk w/ Air 2
Computer - Maybe a Pro Plus 2? (I'm completely lost on this one...need more advice)
Reg - Hollis 212 DC1

Any/all advice is welcome! Thanks.

I've been buying everything on-line for the last 10 years with no hitches. Better selection & pricing, usually no shipping charges, and so far no sales taxes (USA). Your credit card purchases give you a lot of control. I find I don't have that control with PayPal, so I stay away from it these days. IMO, If you LDS wants your business then they have to earn it like everyone else.

I buy online and have had good experiences doing so.
Many of these retailers go out of their way to provide great customer service.
Dive Right In Scuba and Dive Seekers are two that come to mind.

These two have went out of their way to earn my business.

-Mitch

What do you recommend buying/not buying online?

I'd recommend not buying anything that needs to fit properly or anything that will require periodic service.

Additionally, with the exception of fins (I can't imagine a Jet or Twin Jet ever needing service), stay away from SCUBAPro "anything" online, since you'll only be buying yourself problems.

flots.

I personally wouldn't have an issue buying a BCD, reg, and computer online (in fact I have). I stick with authorized dealers - I have no interest in running into problems with warranty work.

BCD is the only one of your items where there's a fit concern so you need to pay attention to the size charts and the exchange policy for where ever you buy. Much of the scuba gear on Amazon is sold by LeisurePro, which has an excellent "fit guarantee" policy, but you'll want to check it out regardless. I have no experience with most of the other scuba vendors on Amazon

Can't help much with your computer question. I like Oceanic computers but I don't like big computers, console computers or air integrated computers and the Pro Plus is all three. I have a Geo 2.0 that I'm a big fan of. Some searching in the Computers subforum will yield piles of user opinion.

---------- Post Merged at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:44 AM ----------

I'd recommend not buying anything that needs to fit properly or anything that will require periodic service.

Additionally, with the exception of fins (I can't imagine a Jet or Twin Jet ever needing service), stay away from SCUBAPro "anything" online, since you'll only be buying yourself problems.

flots.

Can you elaborate on the problems - since ScubaPro began allowing online sales through authorized dealers, I would have assumed the problems went away (assuming of course we're talking about issues with Gray market purchases)

+1 for online buying... just make sure that youre lds supports and,services whatever you get (of course thats for gearthat needs servicing)

We sell a ton of items through Amazon and as CT Sean, it sure seems like most of the big brand name gear that pops up on Amazon is from us :) If you have any questions about anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. And yes, we are an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer, so anything of theirs we sell is the exact same thing you'd get locally with the same warranty.

Whatever else you do, try not to use your local shop as a fitting room for your online purchases . Use those gift cards on something like a reg or computer that doesn't have to be fitted.

Buying a computer on line is perfectly reasonable. They don't have to fit, and there isn't much on them to service -- and if you get one with user-replaceable batteries, then there is really nothing to service.

Buying regs on line is reasonable, too, but you might want to check and see if anybody local carries the same brand, so you can get them worked on where you are. On the other hand, if you're only a periodic diver, sending your regs to someone to get them serviced might not be a big deal.

Buying anything where fit is important on line is likely to be a pain. I find repackaging stuff and returning it to be annoying, myself, and I think using local shops as fitting rooms is absolutely unethical.

ICan you elaborate on the problems - since ScubaPro began allowing online sales through authorized dealers, I would have assumed the problems went away (assuming of course we're talking about issues with Gray market purchases)

I was mostly referring to gray market purchases, but even with "legitimate" purchases, SCUBAPro dealers tend to not put you at the top of the service queue if you didn't buy it from them. You may find that getting your internet-order stuff serviced takes an inconvenient amount of time.

You can always send it back to whoever you bought it from for service, but that's annoying too (I'm spoiled by being able to drop off my stuff locally). One of my least-favorite tasks is boxing stuff up and taking it to UPS.

Generally speaking, it's not worth the bother.

Also, as long as I'm speaking in generalities, there's almost no amount of savings that would make me buy equipment online, if only for the convenience aspect. If I buy a reg locally, I can stop in and have the tech adjust it or service it or whatever, and have it back in 10 minutes, or maybe the next day. If I have to send it somewhere, it's going to take me a week before I'm annoyed enough to box it up and ship it somewhere, then it takes however long service takes, then however long the return trip is.

A regulator will last pretty much forever with proper care and service, so I don't particularly care if it costs me an extra $10/year to have a place to bring it.

flots.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom