what do you put in your dive log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
My dive log has the typical front page with depth, conditions, gear, and so on.
On the back they have a narrative. Does anyone do this part. I know it's nice to go back and see what happened on your dive, Just like keeping a training log,but is the trainning agency or store looking for this or all just personal use

I made my own dive logs. The information consists of

Date, Dive #, Cave Dive #, Site, Max depth, Average Depth, Time, turn time, time to date, backgas starting pressure, backgas turn pressure, backgas end pressure, stage starting pressure, stage turn pressure, stage end pressure, backgas mix, stage gas mix, deco gas mix, deco times and depths, vis, air temp, and water temp. It then has two lines for gear, a line for the dive team, a couple of lines for the dive plan, a notes section where I put in great detail the entire dive and a 2 line section for problems and fixes. I even made a blank sheet in case I run out of room in the notes section while detailing my dive.

For my cave dives, I keep additional book bsides my log book that goes through all of the above, and then include a map of the cave that I highlight where I went on each dive.

I guess you could say I am pretty anal about my logs, as I even laminate each sheet when finished.

There are times when someone will want to see my logbook before they will let me dive with them. More often, my logbook is used as a reference manual for my own diving.

Like JamesK, I'm pretty intense about using my log. I've found that logging helps to organize my thoughts about a dive. Carefully analyzing each dive is one of the easiest ways to make the next one even better, plus it's fun to look back on log entries from years ago.

I also created my own log that includes room for recording extensive statistics (gear, run-time tables, site conditions, team members, gas information, etc.) plus a narrative section plus a map of the site. I fill in as much information as possible - my memory just isn't good enough to remember all of the details forever.

My log is printed front-and-back on a half-sheet of waterproof paper on a color laser, so I don't need to laminate it. Punch some holes in it and it fits nicely in a notebook that I can carry anywhere. I carry a few blank log pages with me underwater along with a waterproof pen so that I can make notes and drawings as I go.

This board won't take a .doc upload, or I would have attached a copy of my log file. If you're interested, PM me and I'll email it to you.

Steven

that's why I like to give as many details as I can as soon as possible after the dive in the narrative. I agree with the others, the details can and should help you to become a better diver if there used.
If you can't remember, then you can use them...

One of the most complete 'standardized' log books that I have seen is the IANTD Recreational Diver Log. It has easy to use information for beginners (dive profiles to practice tables) and more detailed info for advanced divers (OTU tracking).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom