What Do You Have on Your Boat that You Love?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Lynne and I just bought our last boat (20 foot, cutty cabin, OB -- 19 years young) and we are about to start outfitting it.

We will install a VHF and a GPS/Sounder combo (any recommendations?) but are curious as to what other gear (big or little) YOU have which you've found to be very worthwhile. (BTW, it DOES have a Porta-Potty -- one of the non-negotiable demands.)

So -- what say you all?

(And yes, I have gone back over 1 year's worth of posts and found several items, ladders, beanbag chairs, Chuck Trip.'s boat setup, but it's been a little while since this question has been asked and answered....)

Humminbird side scan sonar, works great to 150 feet even in saltwater despite what the naysayers claim. For one thousand smakeroos you can get the little 797s side scan with Navionics charts preloaded. I am very pleased with Humminbird support and performance. I cannot recommend them enough.

I would get a Garlick type three step dive ladder, they have a new telscoping version but I still like our floating model. Get a bimini top to keep out the sun and I do like the Roll Contro tank brackets. I did not think they would work but despite the boat catching air they have held our tanks securely. We have a bean bag chair but no longer use it, to much fuss and use up all the room on a small boat, maybe stick one down in your cuddy, ours lives in front of the TV now. I do like the Dri-Dek but that depends upon the boat I suppose. I don't like weight belts hitting my deck. Good luck. Thats cuddy cabin, not cutty cabin I do think. N

The best thing I have ever added to a boat are trim tabs. Every boat should have them even O/B's and I/O with power trim, they can level a list from off center weight, reduce fuel consumption, provide a better ride by lowering the speed needed to plane in rough water and make steering easier. I would never own a boat without them.

If it doesn't have one (my two boats made in Belize and Guatemala didn't), a windshield. I made mine out of plexiglass and wrapped it around the console (8 inches on the sides) so it's about 20 inches high. It's great to stay warm and dry behind it with a cross /following sea on the way home after diving. I can duck behind it in the rain and stay dry too with the bimini up.

captain has told you don"t wait, with heavy gear in a boat of your size here in rhe puget sound currrents its a must, also a dolpnin on the lower unit.

a small bouy hooked with a small anchor, drop at dive site, predict the current, move up current a little, drop anchor, If you don,t find boat anchor you have one on the site.
attache your weightbelt and bcd to it, with fins and mask you can get to your boat.

Have a long line on your bumberbouy, at the end of line that goes in the water 6" to 1' put a carabiner or any quik hook you would like.

Small boats usally have one bilge pump, put another, one automatic, one manual.
rain,dive gear, suits shed alot of water.

Extra saftey sauges for other divers in your care.

good luck on you new dive quest peter.

I don't have a boat ...but I love my wife. Guess I'm half way there ??

MJ

Ditto trim tabs, I don't have any and I need them. The only reason I don't have them is they run a bit of money and I cannot make up my mind which ones I want. I would never put a Dolfin or any of that on my boat--never--ever.

Small boats are just that, SMALL, and that includes a 20 footer. There is not much room to store lot's of stuff on them. A trailing line will be needed in current, I run out about 100 feet behind the boat with my surface float and dive flag on it. It stays in a bucket under our aft quarter seat when we are using the little boat for diving.

Binoculars with a sighting compass or a hand sighting compass. PLB. Waterproof VHF. Waterproof "family" service radios for use when you buddy boat. Really,if your diving you should have a small O2 bottle/Dan kit but you know, you have to draw a line somewhere. Oh, two batteries and a switch for them.

I am not a big gun person but I think sometimes a stainless Mini 30 under the console might not be a bad idea but I will probably not do that unless we boat in "trouble" areas.
N

Thanks all:

Nemrod -- as far as I can tell, there is a split on the spelling -- "cuddy" vs. "cutty" and I can't tell which is "preferred" -- but the manufacturer used "cuddy" so from now on, that's what I'll use!

a. It has a full windshield and canvas and trim tabs

b. I'm pretty sure we will be installing Dri-dek (or an equivalent)

c. We will be putting in a swim step with appropriate ladder

d. We plan on O2 cleaning an old 72 and using it as an O2 bottle (and Lynne will create a "real" first aid kit)

Keep those ideas coming in.

Back
Top Bottom