What do you do with your teeth? (VB Shark)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been asked this question often. When you make the trip to Venice Beach for a shark tooth dive, you can collect a lot of teeth in a single dive.

When you make frequent trips, the teeth begin to add up. What do you do with all those teeth?

Here are some of the uses I have found and posted in other places. I'm interested in what others do with theirs.
  • They are better than money with some of the local kids and bartering their work for easy tasks.
  • Halloween is around the corner. Go to the craft shop and get 200 small plastic bead bags and place 2-4 in each bag. The kids will go nuts over them.... it's better than candy.
  • WalMart carries all you need to make leather slip necklaces (again for the neighborhood kids... or, they have been sold on ebay)
  • My nephew (7yrs) asks for them as presents for birthdays and other occasions.
  • I gave him my best Meg when he went through surgery. He was very proud of it, and wouldn't set it down
  • If you have the supplies ready you can make a necklace pretty quickly. Some of the SB parties are a great place to let people pick out their own tooth and sit down with them to make their own necklace.
  • Cul the small or broken ones and place them in their own jar. Every time I get to VB for a dive, I seed the beach for tooth searchers to find.
Any time there is a chance to have something different that can spark a memory of the diving event is a great place to have them ready. Even if some just toss it into a jewelry box... one day they open the case and BANG! Immediate recall.
===
These are some of my more common uses. How do you "justify" your many trips for teeth? :D
:pirate5:

I wrap some and give them away, I just give some away in general, I have put them in bags and gave them away, donated baggies of them for fund raising, etc... Larger teeth and the bones that I have are used to show people what CAN be found and get the fossiling bug set loose in them to :D

I have decided that the big ones will be on display in the office and the others will be givin away. I'm not sure to who but eventually I will give them away. As far as justification... NONE NEEDED !!!! I'm down there just to get wet. The teeth are a bonus:wink:

CoolTech:
Cul the small or broken ones and place them in their own jar. Every time I get to VB for a dive, I seed the beach for tooth searchers to find.

Darnit! So thats why mine are all broken! Nice post, I was wondering what to do with them besides give 'em away to everybody up north when I go back home.

I have decided to give a tooth to any youngster who I teach who has a particularly bad day in the water.
This idea came to me a few months back when I had a discover scuba class and a young girl got stung on the hand by a jelly fish badly enough to put her off her dad was with her and took her from the water.I also got a good one on the back of my hand ,.Where were my gloves when I need them......
The dad of the girl in question told me that she had asked him if there were going to be any sharks in the water he assured her there would not. We just got caught out by the jelly fish.
The following week when I saw the family again at the holiday complex they were staying at (I was conducting try dives ) I presented along with the story of how I found the tooth I gave her and how old it was also the fact there was a very good chance she was the only other person apart from me who had touched that tooth for millions of years.
It was a magical time finding all of the teeth I have and when I show the teeth I have and give some away it does indeed keep the memories alive.I also think by what I will do by giving a youngster a tooth on that bad day they will stick with it and maybe go off when they are qualified and find there own treasures,memories.

duncan1958:
I have decided to give a tooth to any youngster who I teach who has a particularly bad day in the water.
This idea came to me a few months back when I had a discover scuba class and a young girl got stung on the hand by a jelly fish badly enough to put her off her dad was with her and took her from the water.I also got a good one on the back of my hand ,.Where were my gloves when I need them......
The dad of the girl in question told me that she had asked him if there were going to be any sharks in the water he assured her there would not. We just got caught out by the jelly fish.
The following week when I saw the family again at the holiday complex they were staying at (I was conducting try dives ) I presented along with the story of how I found the tooth I gave her and how old it was also the fact there was a very good chance she was the only other person apart from me who had touched that tooth for millions of years.
It was a magical time finding all of the teeth I have and when I show the teeth I have and give some away it does indeed keep the memories alive.I also think by what I will do by giving a youngster a tooth on that bad day they will stick with it and maybe go off when they are qualified and find there own treasures,memories.
Excellent!

When will you be owning that shop? We need to schedule a trip to help you break it in correctly!

CoolTech:
IWhen you make frequent trips, the teeth begin to add up. What do you do with all those teeth?

You put a couple in a little envelope addressed to a scubaboard member in the Netherlands who has to travel a gazillion miles to see a shark and who has never seen a sharks tooth that wasn't on display somewhere or in active use at the time.

:D

R..

CoolTech:
Excellent!

When will you be owning that shop? We need to schedule a trip to help you break it in correctly!
All being well this week ,got ok from bank last week.Thats the last I will see of a large chunk of my money,well the banks .
The title of this post is name of shop/centre not sure if allowed to put full web address here,dont want to upset the bosses of site...
Apparently the place where this dive opp is is where Walt Disney was born!!!!
Well I never...Mojacar is name of town in Spain.

Diver0001:
You put a couple in a little envelope addressed to a scubaboard member in the Netherlands who has to travel a gazillion miles to see a shark and who has never seen a sharks tooth that wasn't on display somewhere or in active use at the time.

:D

R..

PM your address to me. I have 1 or 2 extras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom