What do you do with your first deco hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I know a few people who also do it this way, always on one side. Do you dive backmount only? Do you do the same for sidemount? Backmount I can understand but sidemount is quite comfy having 2 each side (as in 1 deco on each side + sidegas as I like to call it :p) and it wouldn't make sense to sling 3 one 1 side and one on the right.
BM. Not much of a drive for OW sidemount.

Interesting topic and I was always interested to see what others did in this case.

The way I was taught and also what makes sense to me is you go from deco to deco and only to BG for air breaks.

How I do this, is while on Deco 1 I run through Notox up until the Examine part tracing the route of the hose and showing my buddy that I am planning to move to the correct tank. After confirmation and correct depth I have the D2 reg in my right hand (coming from rich right side) and my left hand is on my D1 reg in my mouth. Breathe in, left hand pulls out reg, and hose away from my neck and drops usually. Right hand loops D2 around neck and into mouth. Change gas on computer. Then proceed with stowing D1 hose.

This whole process is actually quite smooth once you have done it a few times. To me it limits the complexity of switching to BG as an extra step, and your hose only dangles for a 1min or less. If you don't let go, then it doesn't dangle. But in open water this has been my preference.
Ditto.

Do keep "D1" in my left hand, held outstretched to the left completely away from my body, whilst the right hand wraps the "D2" hose round my neck and into mouth, purging if necessary. Do that to ensure "D1" is not tangled and is still available should something go titsup and need to get back on the deeper bailout.

Edit: right/left wrong way!

I've played around with both methods, always with 2 cylinders on the left, and with the cylinders in each order, i.e either 50% on bottom and 100% on top or vice versa.

Switching from deco to deco is possible and you can get well practiced in it but if you do have a slip of concentration you can get in a tangle. Also you really want the 50% on top for this otherwise stowing the reg after is a pain.

My preference by far is to switch to back gas, (no point telling your computer, if you get bent because of this you are probably not diving concervatively enough) stow 50% which is on top, then nose clip the 50% of to left hip only. This leaves just the 100% ready to switch to like you only had one stage. Does anyone else bother with this bottle rotation with 2 cylinders?

no point telling your computer, if you get bent because of this you are probably not diving concervatively enough
I evaluated this once for a 200 ft dive / 50ish minute deco time, IIRC, with 2 switches (to 50% and 100%). GFSurf was inflated by 3% over switching the computer when going to BG. Longer deco times resulted in less inflation. (I forget the exact switching time I used or whether I stowed a deco hose at the previous stop depth or did everything where the new deco was within MOD.)

Yeah I know a few people who also do it this way, always on one side. Do you dive backmount only? Do you do the same for sidemount? Backmount I can understand but sidemount is quite comfy having 2 each side (as in 1 deco on each side + sidegas as I like to call it :p) and it wouldn't make sense to sling 3 one 1 side and one on the right.
I have exactly 0 desire to do dives that deep in open water on sidemount, too much of a PITA to deal with that many bottles.
The issue with the second bottle on the right is ensuring the long hose isn't trapped if you have to share gas.
In a cave the scenario changes when you can dump bottles so it's a different discussion, but in OW I've never felt compelled to use sidemount for any technical diving. Hell even for 50ft reef diving in Lauderdale area I dive double HP120's so I don't have to switch tanks on board. Sidemount is just too much of a PITA off of boats for me when compared to doubles. In the caves though I use a leash when I have multiple stage/deco bottles in sidemount. I will nose clip to a hip d-ring until I drop the 100%/50% bottles off or we will share deco gases on a leash so one person will have a leash with the 100% bottles, one with the 50% bottles etc. and then helium stages would go between your legs. Nitrox stages are annoying between your legs so those may be loaded left and right and I breathe the right one first so if you have to share gas you can share out of your mouth, and then move it to the leash between my legs since it will float and that leaves my long hose free. Since the stages are dropped off, when I pick them back up I move them to the leash when they're d-e-d dead and they're out of the way and easier to contend with.

I teach to move from deco stage to deco stage. It reduced the number of steps you have to do, and it teaches people to switch in the same way they will have to, if they start doing deep hypoxic tmx, where switches to backgas can be problematic.

When properly learned, it looks really slick. It's fast, easy, efficient and safe.

I teach to carry two tanks left. Third+ tanks go on leash, or possibly on right depending on whether there's going to be scooters involved or not, and/or whether there's potentially longer swims.

I have exactly 0 desire to do dives that deep in open water on sidemount, too much of a PITA to deal with that many bottles.
The issue with the second bottle on the right is ensuring the long hose isn't trapped if you have to share gas.
In a cave the scenario changes when you can dump bottles so it's a different discussion, but in OW I've never felt compelled to use sidemount for any technical diving. Hell even for 50ft reef diving in Lauderdale area I dive double HP120's so I don't have to switch tanks on board. Sidemount is just too much of a PITA off of boats for me when compared to doubles. In the caves though I use a leash when I have multiple stage/deco bottles in sidemount. I will nose clip to a hip d-ring until I drop the 100%/50% bottles off or we will share deco gases on a leash so one person will have a leash with the 100% bottles, one with the 50% bottles etc. and then helium stages would go between your legs. Nitrox stages are annoying between your legs so those may be loaded left and right and I breathe the right one first so if you have to share gas you can share out of your mouth, and then move it to the leash between my legs since it will float and that leaves my long hose free. Since the stages are dropped off, when I pick them back up I move them to the leash when they're d-e-d dead and they're out of the way and easier to contend with.

100% I hear you and do see what you are saying. I guess there is something to be said about going deeper than lets say 60m-70m or so, and being on sidemount and that is when it would make more sense to use the two places on your back for twins rather. I just enjoy diving sidemount too much to not use it where possible. Although with 4 cylinders and a drysuit I do feel a lot bulkier in terms of arm placement and space vs twins and two deco cylinders. I personally find sidemount off a boat a bit easier/equally as much of a pain as twins to don and get in (SM is easier, but you do it twice, Twins, tough but once in you're done I guess....but on a RIB, that frikken crotch strap is a beast to get in. Sitting is not always possible, or you are sitting on the thing and usually standing is the only way/easier way and is a bit dodgy with the limited space and swells). I have mostly done dives off of RIBs in the South African waters and as such anything you do is a mission :p But in saying that I feel like I am more independent and free with sidemount, especially on getting back on the boat/doffing your gear. Where getting out of a tight harness of twins is more of a mission to me.

I like your use of the noseclip to hip D -ring as a temp hold. I often just getting into shore entries make use of the crotch strap D ring at the front. But this is different of course and not on the dive.

I teach to move from deco stage to deco stage. It reduced the number of steps you have to do, and it teaches people to switch in the same way they will have to, if they start doing deep hypoxic tmx, where switches to backgas can be problematic.

When properly learned, it looks really slick. It's fast, easy, efficient and safe.

I teach to carry two tanks left. Third+ tanks go on leash, or possibly on right depending on whether there's going to be scooters involved or not, and/or whether there's potentially longer swims.
Yup, slick when you get it right I agree.

I didn't say anything about narcosis. I'm not a fan of the lightheaded spinning sensation I get when coming from a high helium blend to no helium. I liken it to whippets. It last a few breaths and I don't care for it.
Huh?

Just curious, those of you switching from deco to back-gas while stowing/preparing the next deco gas, are you switching your computer(s) back/forth as well? I didn't see that mentioned, so I don't know if it's assumed or if you're relying on a different method for tracking your deco obligation.
Do it if you like, it hardly makes much difference. On a typical ocean dive deco schedule you'll only be on back gas for a few minutes at 30 ft and (maybe) 80 ft. Your deco should be planned out ahead of time and if you use a computer you shouldn't be reliant on it; I use mine mostly as a sanity check to verify that I'm not screwing something up.

… in OW I've never felt compelled to use sidemount for any technical diving. Hell even for 50ft reef diving in Lauderdale area I dive double HP120's so I don't have to switch tanks on board. Sidemount is just too much of a PITA off of boats for me when compared to doubles.
Trust me, there are places in the world where you are unable to find doubles. In such scenario grabbing two tanks even with the same valves saves your day.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom