What do you do with your first deco hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trust me, there are places in the world where you are unable to find doubles. In such scenario grabbing two tanks even with the same valves saves your day.
If I know that will be the case, I have been a proponent of mixed mount. Dive with a single tank on your back with a long hose, pressure gauge, and wing inflator, and use a left side sidemount bottle. Non traditional, but it's not often I'm going to be technical diving on open circuit in those areas.

Trust me, there are places in the world where you are unable to find doubles. In such scenario grabbing two tanks even with the same valves saves your day.
In those places, I sidemount. It is a tool. One of many. But I don't understand why you would ever choose to do it from a boat unless that was the only option.

Would you even want to be doing a three deco gas dive OC in a place where technical diving isn't common enough to get doubles? That implies that even in helium and oxygen are available they would be very expensive. You wouldn't have crews trained to support your diving, among other issues.

Would you even want to be doing a three deco gas dive OC in a place where technical diving isn't common enough to get doubles? That implies that even in helium and oxygen are available they would be very expensive. You wouldn't have crews trained to support your diving, among other issues.
Cuz its made up nonsense scenarios for Scubaboard.

Imagine paying thousands of dollars for some tech trip only to be stumped by the idea of “add a manifold and bands to your luggage”.

Cuz its made up nonsense scenarios for Scubaboard.

Imagine paying thousands of dollars for some tech trip only to be stumped by the idea of “add a manifold and bands to your luggage”.
Imagine paying $$$$$ for a technical dive trip and they don’t have a twinset as promised but can give you two singles. With a couple of cam bands you could make up independent doubles and just go diving. Or dive with a single and a pony/stage tank. Or dive sidemount.

Be prepared. Adapt.

Imagine paying $$$$$ for a technical dive trip and they don’t have a twinset as promised but can give you two singles. With a couple of cam bands you could make up independent doubles and just go diving. Or dive with a single and a pony/stage tank. Or dive sidemount.

Be prepared. Adapt.
As promised?

Where’d it go?

I’ve traveled with bands, manifolds, valves, Lola valves for CCR, etc. to ensure I have the right equipment in hard to reach places. Much easier than trying to make square peg (sidemount) fit in a round hole (open water).

(oh, and always switch to back gas first. Every gas switch should be done exactly the same, too much opportunity for fatal mistakes to have several regs deployed at once)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom