What do you do when winter sets in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads Up

Contributor
Reaction score
What difference does winter make?

Do you change exposue suit from wetsit - semidry - dry suit?

Do you change regs from an open first stage to environmentally sealed?

Do you hang up your fins till Spring?

Or do you look forward to cracking the ice on Christmas Eve?

I always dive a dry suit with an Apeks TX100 environmentallly sealed reg setup and I am looking forward to spending my first Christmas Eve 40m deep in Ireland studying a wreck first discovered by Robert Stenuit (for those of you interested in dive history - the Belgian equivalent of Jacques Cousteau) - He has a strong link to my family which I will gladly discuss with interested parties.

Like I told Fishkiller in another thread, I'll keep diving till it freezes. I might add another layer to my undergarmet, but that's about it!

-kate

Here in So Cal, I have just put away the 3 mil and dusted off the 7 mil for the "winter". Water temp down to 63 now so it's time. I use the mk20 g250 year round in all water conditions (temps).

Keep diving weekly or so until the water starts icing over and then wait until january and cut holes in the ice to crawl through. Go to heavier undergarments and add argon.

It's not unusual for the water and air temp to both be around 65F in the dead of winter.

My last dive in San Diego (July) was 55F below the thermocline. When I did my safety stop (65F above the thermocline ) it felt like bathwater, so everything is relative.

If I can afford it, I'd like to hit a Caribean/Bahamas location for a week of vacation every winter.

If I knew how to do it, I'd insert a link to another thread I started in the Travel Forum concerning saving money on travel expenses.

When it gets too cold or rough in the Gulf, we head for the caves - 68 to 72 every day of the year, depending on the cave.
We dive both Gulf and caves dry in the winter.
Rick

winter what's that?

If you're a diver up here....
1- take the non-diving courses...

2- you go south (if you can afford it)

3- mostly, you adapt - more the hard stuff out of your way, and invest in a hot tub.

Now I just have to find someone who is willing to BBQ with a windchill of - 25C....

I am too new of a diver to know what winter is all about so I say "keep on diving" till the ice forms on the inside of my 3mil shorty!

Here in NJ you dive for as long as you can!!! This year I plan on taking some of the non-diving courses and when spring rolls around do the diving portions so I can continue my DM program. Most of the gear one uses can be used in cold weather. You may want to get a cold weather kit fr your regs but for the most part you just keep getting fix after fix for as long as you can.

NJDiver_34

might just have to take a trip to see how if the appeal of 6" viz in Texas mudhole when water well north of Mason-Dixon if stiff for first 30 inches or so is worth it. From looks of things diving with syruss32 would be just like diving with Butch 103! (Wow, they'll both agree that's a double slam......)

Actually serious here (I admit it is likely a first except for greetings to new members). Wifey and I would sure like to get south in early part of next year for sand, sun, and diving trip.

Until the water gets skim on it up here, we'll likely keep at it.

Dave:jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom