What Do You Do to Help the Environment While Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had the money or time to fly for dive travel so I can’t be blamed for taking part in thousands of lbs of jet fuel being burned to transport my entitled ass halfway across the world to blow bubbles

Good point - except..... A return flight New York to London has a carbon impact or approx 1 metric ton of CO2 per person.

Every child born has an impact of around 60 tonnes per year (Western Children)

Since I've chosen never to have kids I'm good with my 3 vacation flights per year - I'm well in credit.

Not a damn thing other than refusing to get on airplanes to go dive faraway places and diving locally (regionally) instead.

I would bet, unless you ride a bicycle to work, that your car accounts for way more CO2 than my 2 short distance trips a year. Add in all the other CO2 generation, for example, heat & AC, mowing the lawn, eating meat, breathing, filling tanks, transporting food and dive equipment to point of sale, etc, etc, etc, etc, no one really has the justification to think their crap doesn't stink.

I pee in the shower.

Reactions: Doc
I actually avoided dive travel by saying the carbon foot print was reason enough to stay-cation diving. Mostly it was I never had the money.

However when you travel to far off places and spend money on diving, you give the local communities an economic incentive to preserve and protect their local environment.

However when you travel to far off places and spend money on diving, you give the local communities an economic incentive to preserve and protect their local environment.

You give some segments of their society the opportunity to see an incentive, Food on the table tonight trumps tomorrow's tourism dollar every time.

I pee in the shower.
Just like wetsuits... Everybody does, just that you admit it.

It’s a lot more complicated than picking up trash, our carbon footprint is the sum of all of our actions. We also have to look at contaminants that enter in the water. Nitrogen from waste water treatment, drugs like estrogen from birth control pills can affect an ecosystem. Agricultural waste like the sewage pits from hog farms flooded out by Hurricane Florence. Thinking banning plastics bags and straws or picking up bottles underplays the complexity of the issues.

Eco-tourism is not not a bad thing, it encourages long term stewardship of ecosystems, rather than the food on the plate concerns that come from a we starve today or we starve tomorrow exploitation of the environment. The long term benefits of tourists enjoying a reef and going home and pressuring gov't to enact eco-friendly policies is also valuable.

Thinking banning plastics bags and straws or picking up bottles underplays the complexity of the issues.

Yes, but getting people to think about bags and straws makes them think about the issue in the first place.

I pee in the shower.
I hear ya. It's an awfully complicated subject--what's better than what and what creates more problems than it helps solve.
Well, as long as we all play by the rules and separate all our recyclables properly the whole problem will be solved. Unless you live in an apartment, then just chuck it all in the dumpster.
I've even peed in public showers, George Costanza.....

Whoops!!!
I could have sworn that I was depositing in a repository
No way am cutting a hole in the seat of my dry suit....
or something

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom