What do you do over the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you that it gets dark that early?
About 63 degrees North, on the East side of the pond. Right now, the sun rises at ten and sets at a quarter to three here. And the sun's maximum inclination at noon is some 3-4 degrees above the horizon IIRC.

I'd suggest trying to make friends with someone that has an indoor pool. I am a teacher and have pretty much open access to my school's pool. I've been diving there pretty regularly in the cool months in addition to helping out with some OW and refresher classes that are being taught in the pool.

I've been going through YouTube this evening and day dreaming over shipwreck videos from the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary in Lake Huron (off Alpena, MI) where I'll be diving next summer for three days, plus reading up on the wrecks. I'm drooling. I cannot wait for this trip. It will be worth all the work to get there. :D

Last edited:
Got a gym membership for the pool. I've done 350 yards/320 meters the past two days. My arse hurts. :D I seem to be he entertainment for those in the hot tub as I'm kitted out with mask, snorkel, and fins, plus using a kick board. I have to explain multiple times I'm a diver.
The only place with a pool near to me is the Y, and not cheap. I have wondered about wearing mask, snorke and wet suit while swimming. We are in a suburban location...lots of judging. My wife says that she will have to wear makeup.

The only place with a pool near to me is the Y, and not cheap. I have wondered about wearing mask, snorke and wet suit while swimming. We are in a suburban location...lots of judging. My wife says that she will have to wear makeup.

I belong to LA Fitness. $30/month + $100 initiation fee.

I'm in a suburban location, but it's also not on the east coast! Makeup to swim? That's not the Midwest! All shapes and sizes in my gym's pool. Folks range from triathlon types, to middle aged folks (me!), to old folks who are walking the pool (not swimming). The water is about 80F, but it's too cold for me. I freeze. I wear a long sleeved rash guard and UnderArmor leggings over my bathing suit. They provide enough warmth without resorting to a wet suit (which I don't own, I dive dry). I did over 400 yards today.

We has 17 divers at the quarry on 1/1/2017 to kick off the new year. Water temps were 42°F with basically no thermocline present.

I played with the new toy a little before getting in the pool.

Haven't dived since Dec. 9 home in Nova Scotia. Next dive probably Jan.5 here in good old Destin, on the Fla. panhandle (the "tundra"). That's about the one time I go more than a week between dives (got to let it all dry to jam in the car for the trip south). Gulf of Mex. temp. apparently about 64F--like August in N.S.

I live in Connecticut and dive all year. In the winter I just use my dry suit and head out to the Massachusetts and Rhode Island coasts for salt water or stay in Connecticut for fresh water or ice diving. Today I'm getting ready to go for our traditional New Year's dive at Fort Wetherill in Jamestown RI this coming Sunday. Happy New Year 2017!!!

I was there, so may have seen you there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom