What do you do over the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live on Vancouver Island BC (Canada) and have a drysuit, good undergarment, dry gloves and a heated vest. I dive all year round here. The only thing about winter diving is that it rains more during our winters, so gearing up is a bit wetter. On the other hand, visibility is so very much better from Nov-March, so it kind of offsets.

I was thinking that it if was wet (which usually is the norm for late fall/winter around here, except not this year) I could get one of those inexpensive 10 x 10 canopies to throw in the back of my vehicle and use it to change under.

I now take a regular umbrella. If I prop it over the driver's door it shelters me enough to change and as a bonus keeps water out of the door switches. :)

Heated socks??? What for? The water temp doesn't get much below 39 under the ice! (in fresh water anyway)
:rofl3:

The answer to the question is yes. And while the comment adds some levity, it is worth pointing out that there's no joke about being cold underwater. It can lead to anything from an unenjoyable dive experience to serious physical impairment.

During my winter dives I used to grade my dives by the number of toes I could no longer feel when I exited the water. A four-toe dive was pretty good ... and eight-toe dive made it difficult for me to walk from the water's edge back to my car to drop my gear ... and often resulted in some pain as feeling returned. That's no fun.

You don't need heated socks ... but a reasonable choice of booties or socks can help keep your toes from going numb when diving in cold water. And 39 degrees is cold enough to do some serious physical impairment if you haven't made the right selections. It's not a joke when you're so cold, or numb, that you have trouble exiting the water ... something that we always want to consider when winter diving.

And remember, if you're slogging through snow, you're likely to get even more cold between the time you exit the water and the time you get your gear off and are able to start warming up. So dress warmly, and pay attention to your body. Hypothermia is no kidding business ...

Snow Pics 0036.JPG

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I live on Vancouver Island BC (Canada) and have a drysuit, good undergarment, dry gloves and a heated vest. I dive all year round here. The only thing about winter diving is that it rains more during our winters, so gearing up is a bit wetter. On the other hand, visibility is so very much better from Nov-March, so it kind of offsets.

... that's why God created pop-up canopies ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was thinking that it if was wet (which usually is the norm for late fall/winter around here, except not this year) I could get one of those inexpensive 10 x 10 canopies to throw in the back of my vehicle and use it to change under.

Yup ... mine pretty much goes with me on every dive during the wet, winter months ... and an 8x8 works better if you gear up out of your car ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup ... mine pretty much goes with me on every dive during the wet, winter months ... and an 8x8 works better if you gear up out of your car ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thank you for your wisdom Bob. As an older newbie I have a steep learning curve, but the patience to do it right. :) I am currently in the "saving for a drysuit" mode and hopefully in a few months will be at the point of asking (and researching on this board and elsewhere) for help in obtaining one!

Thank you for your wisdom Bob. As an older newbie I have a steep learning curve, but the patience to do it right. :) I am currently in the "saving for a drysuit" mode and hopefully in a few months will be at the point of asking (and researching on this board and elsewhere) for help in obtaining one!

I was also an older newbie ... I started my OW class on my 49th birthday. Learned a few things since then ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just how old are you again, Chip? I've got local dive buddies that are 47 and 61, all of us certified this year.

63 Marie. :)

Back
Top Bottom