What do you consider dive safety equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive with the following:

Slate
SMB
My SL-4
Line cutter
Signaling mirror
whistle
diver flares

pasley:
One sunny morning at 9:30 a.m. we dropped down into absolutely black inky water at 60 feet (lights started going out at 30 FSW). I retrieved my small dive light that lives in my BC pocket and that improved visibility from zero to 2-3 feet. My dive partner did not carry a light and we aborted the dive.

So that raises the question. What do you consider dive safety equipment that accompanies you on every single dive, no exceptions, day or night after regulators and BC?

For me that is:
1. cutting instrument for fish line and rope. In my case that is a knife, but a pair of cutting shears is on my to buy list.
2. light, small UK C-4 light in the BC pocket.
3. Whistle

Why?
Never know when you will find monofilament and potentially get caught in it.
Never know when conditions will get real dark even on a day dive or for that odd hole you want to peer into.

I got some shears for $15 from trident that look pretty decent. Clip them off in the left pocket, and knife on the belt. primary light (taken on all dives day & night), at least one backup light, probably should get a whistle of some kind. Spool & safety sausage. that's about it for now

Well I'm a brand newbie... haven't even made one dive but I'm proud to say that I have a safety sausage and a backup light.... perhaps I should have a BCD :eyebrow:

I dive next week in Cozumel though

Common sense., best thing you can have. Just wish I could figure out how to sell it! God knows I don't use mine :)

It all depends on where your at I guess.

Have a BP/W setup that I use for all my diving with the following on the harness:
Knife (that also works as a shear)
Linecutter
Spool
SMB
Liftbag
HID-Light
back-up light
Slate
Compass

pasley:
So that raises the question. What do you consider dive safety equipment that accompanies you on every single dive, no exceptions, day or night after regulators and BC?

EMT shears, whistle, safety sausage, pocket resuscitator mask.

SAfety Sausage

I dive with that and nothing else. I was consitering buying a dive alert, and carrying a 30lb lift bag.

Min shore gear:

pony
at least one of my cutting tools (shears on retractable lanyard)
compass
one computer

Min boat dive gear:

doubles
two cutting tools (knife and shears)
safety sausage
whistle
compass
computer and backup depth/temp/time/ascent gauge

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom