What do you carry with you when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburdick1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I'm trying to prepare for eventualities when diving and was wondering what you all carry with you when underwater? I'm talking in addition to the basic SCUBA components (BCD, Tank, Regs etc).

Right now, I've got a pair of EMT shears in one BCD pocket, and a Safety Sausage in the other. I haven't been carrying a spare mask with me, but I'm considering that as well.

Most of the diving I do is Tropical, a combination of shore and boat dives.

Thoughts?

Thanks! (Heading to Curacao in a few weeks!)

This really depends on the diving you intend to do. A snorkel is great if there is a chance of surface swim in surf or rough seas. But useless if shore diving in calm seas. I take most gear, but not necessarily carry it on the dive. A DSMB or safety sausage is necessary if boat diving or diving with a current. But not always necessary. I don't ever carry a spare mask unless trying a new mask for the first couple dives. Just have never needed it. However, cave divers will most always have one, because the surface is not an option. If something happens to my mask I will likely just surface safely. I believe the only thing I carry always is computer, compass, and two flashlights beyond basic BCD, Regs, Tank, weight, exposure suit, fins, and mask. I carry two flashlights because I use them often and have had them flood, batteries die, etc. You may only need one for your diving.

Your question is basically a risk management question and you must look at the dive profile to determine the risks and how you intend to mitigate that risk if it is severe enough to warrant any mitigation.

1000009592.jpg

Line cutter, folding serrated Spyderco, 1 or 2 Halcyon Scout lights, maybe an SMB/Dive Alert and Nautilus beacon.

Thanks for the replies. It seems to me that there are 3 necessities

1- Something to cut line/rope
2- Something to signal with visually on the surface
3- Something to signal with audibly when on the surface

With a Light Source being a 4th, necessary with backup for night dives, or optional if you're into looking into little caves during day dives.

A snorkel could be useful as well, but is more Dive Specific.

What I'm trying to do is plan for eventualities that I may encounter in diving, taking into account what kind of diving I do.

I'm aware that different dives require different equipment, but I figured that learning from others experiences is helpful to everyone.

I will supplement my previous reply. All safety equipment like line cutters, surface whistle, and mirror are always on the BC, so I don't think about them separately. I have two cutting devices in the center triangle that I can reach either with either hand. Mirror and whistle are together on left shoulder. These are on every dive. Everything else is dependent on dive profile. Audible signaling underwater is not necessary IMHO, and is generally annoying.

For open water dives I generally carry a butt mounted pouch with: Garmin InReach, flashlight, whistle, SMB, and a finger spool. I can get in and out of this pouch pretty easily but generally don't need to so it stays back behind me out of the way and I don't even notice it is there. Sometime I carry a nautilus lifeline in this pouch also depending on if my girlfriend is diving with me or not (she carries it when she is diving with me). Z knife on my computer (both computers if I'm carrying two), extra double enders on my computer/s, wrist slate on my computer. For spearfishing I carry an extra SMB on my butt D ring in case I want to send a fish to the surface for the boat to pick up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom