What do you call this gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't aware anyone was promoting it for Caribbean reef dives or as a replacement for scuba gear.

I wasn't aware anyone was promoting it as recreational scuba gear either ... but a couple folks in here did just that when I said it had nothing to do with scuba or recreational diving.

If you want to wear commercial dive gear for fun, go ahead ... it'll still have nothing to do with scuba or recreational diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... If you want to wear commercial dive gear for fun, go ahead ... it'll still have nothing to do with scuba or recreational diving.

It will have nothing to do with the kind of recreational diving you do today. :)

[Surface-supplied] may not be "SCUBA," but it can be recreational diving.
... in a boutique sort of way, and in very limited environs.

Recreational surface-supplied diving: who would want to do it?

Lots of wreck divers would. I would happily go into sat to spend a couple of days on and in a big wreck, if I could do it for under $100K. [-]For an opportunity like that, I might even take a photography class first[/-]. No, let's be real. There are some things I would never do.

Real photographers and videographers would. The occasional treasure hunter would. Maybe a cutting-edge cave survey team or three. And those hard-to-categorize experiential tourists that keep selling us all their "used-once" gear out of closets that are full of "used-once" gear.

Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don’t recall anyone promoting deep sea gear as a replacement for Scuba in recreational diving. Do you think it is unreasonable for me to even ask this question on Scubaboard? It would be pointless to ask it in the commercial forum since I was curious about terminology used by recreational divers.

Just curious. What phrase do recreational Scuba divers use to describe divers like this?...

Would you be upset if someone asked about a modern one-atmosphere suit like this?

Exosuit - Nuytco Research Ltd.
exosuit-main1.jpg

Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don’t recall anyone promoting deep sea gear as a replacement for Scuba in recreational diving. Do you think it is unreasonable for me to even ask this question on Scubaboard? It would be pointless to ask it in the commercial forum since I was curious about terminology used by recreational divers.

Would you be upset if someone asked about a modern one-atmosphere suit like this?

Exosuit - Nuytco Research Ltd.
View attachment 204130

I think it's a reasonable question. I thought I gave you a reasonable answer ... it's attire used by underwater construction workers. When I said it has nothing to do with scuba or recreational diving you pointed me to NEDEG ... on whose website they refer to the gear you pictured in the OP as "commercial diving equipment" ... which is exactly my point. That they allow recreational divers to try out some gear doesn't make it recreational gear. It's like visiting a museum and trying on some of the attire used in the displays ... that wouldn't make it suitable casual attire. It's a boutique sort of experience ... except for those who have to use these tools for commercial use.

I wasn't attempting to challenge the legitimacy of your question ... I was attempting to provide the answer you asked for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... maybe you should contemplate for a moment what SCUBA stands for. Here's a hint ... it doesn't stand for "surface supplied"..

When was the last time you saw somebody diving in Cozumel or the Caymens in the rig you posted in the original post of this thread?

Last month in Grand Cayman.

Actually, it was more like this:

The individual was using a hard hat (similar to the above but complete hard shell around the head ... a Kirby Morgan) for recreational diving. He had an injury that prevented scuba using normal mask/regulator and the way he could dive was using the hard hat. He was using normal backmounted Al80 for air supply IIRC.

Carl

... The individual was using a hard hat (similar to the above but complete hard shell around the head ... a Kirby Morgan) for recreational diving. He had an injury that prevented scuba using normal mask/regulator and the way he could dive was using the hard hat. He was using normal backmounted Al80 for air supply IIRC...

Interesting. Was he using the AL80 for his sole breathing gas or as a bailout in case of surface supplied gas failure? Was the hat something like this?

SuperLite 27 | Kirby Morgan

I’m a volunteer with the Monterey Bay Veterans working on their Lift to Freedom Project. I never considered accommodating a diver with facial injuries that would prevent them from using a half or full-face mask. The biggest problem with a hat with a neck dam is the weight. You need uncompromised neck muscles to handle the weight out of the water.

Interesting. Was he using the AL80 for his sole breathing gas or as a bailout in case of surface supplied gas failure? Was the hat something like this?

SuperLite 27 | Kirby Morgan

I’m a volunteer with the Monterey Bay Veterans working on their Lift to Freedom Project. I never considered accommodating a diver with facial injuries that would prevent them from using a half or full-face mask. The biggest problem with a hat with a neck dam is the weight. You need uncompromised neck muscles to handle the weight out of the water.

It was something like the SuperLite 27 or 57. It wasn't surface supplied and the only gas that I recall was the Al80. I believe the injury was something that prevented equalization in water but he obviously could do so in air (otherwise even the helmet wouldn't work for him.) He didn't have compromised neck muscles and it did look like the neck dam would be an initial challenge to get used to.

I didn't see the hat in action so I don't know if he had a redundant bail out.

The biggest hurdle I can see for use in something like the Monterey Bay Veterans is the cost. At the shop I'm affiliated with, it's not clear that we would have the knowledge & skills to help a diver use one of these to accomodate an injury ... but you've got the experience to manage that if the cost element is addressed.

... The biggest hurdle I can see for use in something like the Monterey Bay Veterans is the cost. At the shop I'm affiliated with, it's not clear that we would have the knowledge & skills to help a diver use one of these to accomodate an injury ... but you've got the experience to manage that if the cost element is addressed.

Jared Berg at Monterey Bay Diving has very kindly provided a lot of support to the local GUE divers. Someone in his store may be able to answer questions about hats & masks in that application.

jared-on-pier.jpg

Carl_F

Thanks for the input. I'm not too comfortable putting anyone in the water in a lightweight hat on Scuba. A key design consideration on these hats is a virtually exhaustible primary umbilical supply plus an HP bailout bottle for an emergency. CO2 buildup is an issue due to increased dead airspace so periodic purging using the freeflow valve is common in normal operations. A lot of thought would have to be given to managing backup gas supplies and regulator failures.

Back
Top Bottom