What do you buy first when you do not have any gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReelDuel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a question. I have read that you should get your BC first then make sure the Reg etc fits your BC. I am ready to take the plunge and purchase gear for the wife and I soon. But heck people it is so difficult to figure out. So much to learn. I want to get what I need the first time to avoid having to purchase replacement items that would sit in the shop next to the fishing rod and reels that didn't cut the mustard. Thanks for your help.
Fred

From your profile info and your question it appears you are fairly recently certified. First, congratulations! My suggestion (based on buying my own equipment when I first got certified in the '70's, then buying 5 full sets of gear for myself and my family last year when I returned to diving) is:

1. Buy your personal gear 1st (wetsuit, mask, fins, booties, gloves, dive watch, etc.), appropriate for the water temp & conditions you'll dive in most often.

2. Rent different brands and styles of BC and regulators if possible, to get an idea of what you want. Get a feel for whether you want jacket style or BP/W type of BC.

3. If you cannot afford to get a BC and regulators at the same time, I'd ask if you have an "average sized" body.... the reason being if you are "hard to fit" you may want to buy a BC first, since regulators are pretty much "one size fits all" :) .... if you are average sized and rental BC's work well for you then I'd get the regulators first.

Whatever you decide, be sure to ask lots of questions, do your homework, and shop around! There are substantial price differences once you start to search around...

Good luck!

Just a question. I have read that you should get your BC first then make sure the Reg etc fits your BC. I am ready to take the plunge and purchase gear for the wife and I soon. But heck people it is so difficult to figure out. So much to learn. I want to get what I need the first time to avoid having to purchase replacement items that would sit in the shop next to the fishing rod and reels that didn't cut the mustard. Thanks for your help.
Fred

If you are not going to go get it all from the start then my advice is to buy what is hardest for you to rent. If someone is an odd size then get the wetsuit. If you need a BC that fits just right then buy that.

All things being equal I would suggest:

1. Wetsuit. You need to know you will always have one that fits and fits right. There are also hygiene issues. Besides this is less $$ than many other items so knock it off the list.

2. BC. It's the core of mastering your most significant skill, buoyancy control. Being in a rig that fits right and where you know the locations of things by memory and feel is critical. Just get a standard inflater and you will be able to plug into any common rental regulator set.

3. Regulator set. For novice diving a regulator is a regulator and rental stuff is usually fine. If you can't spring for computers yet then get a depth gauge as part of the console. This should include you cylinder pressure gauge and a compass. If you want to wrist mount instruments that is an option. I suggest a dedicated alternate second in addition to the first stage an primary regulators. You BC will have come with a QD hose of it's own that will now be installed on your regulator. If cold water, fresh water or quarry diving are in the mix make sure they are "cold water" rated regulators. The cost differential in nominal.

4. Computers are nice if you will be doing repetitive diving for days on end, like that tropical dream vacation. If you will be local divers making a dive or 2 and not diving on consecutive days it's something you can delay for a long long time. If your dives will be mainly 30-40 foot dives it is also hardly needed. When you decide to invest you will need 2, no sharing! Skip integration. It add failure points and $$. All of the integration you need is between your ears. This can go on a wrist or be a hockey puck that pops in where your original depth gauge is.

Somewhere along the way you will add weights. These will be provided free or rented at flown to destinations. For local diving you will want to get your own so you can have them set-up your way with a buckle you trust. The payback is also fairly quick over renting.

Cylinders come last and become the final key to frequent spontaneous diving. Nothing beats deciding on the spur of the moment that you want to load, go and splash.

To your question of BC fitting regulators there are 2 points:

First, staying with 1 brand dies make getting service easier. If they all come from the same shop it matters less.

Second, If you decide to get an Alternate 2nd/ inflater combo (don't) the QD connector is not universal however the correct hose will come with the unit. This could leave you in a bad spot if you need to connect your alternate equipped BC into a rental regulator.

Pete

Here's my recommended order:

1- Mask, snorkel, fins (+/- booties for open heel fins, start with split fins)

2- Wetsuit

These first 2 can be used often when not scuba diving. And you know they'll fit and you can travel with them easily.

3- BC ( I prefer Zeagle, especially for women; and weight integrated) - also include safety gear with this purchase: flashlight, safety sausage, dive alert, whistle...

4- Regulator set-up ( I prefer Zeagle, Apeks, or Atomic) - don't like using rental equipment that may cause an out of air emergency. Also, I swear by the moldable/fitted mouthpiece - no more jaw fatigue or headaches.

5- Camera

6- Tanks( I prefer my own steel tanks with nitrox I've tested every time)

7- Speargun(s)

8- Shark shield

9- Worldcat 320EC with twin Suzukis ( or you can hitch a ride with me:wink:)

Well, I started of like this

1: mask and snorkel
2: computer
3: not yet, probably a wetsuit

Why buy a computer so soon? well, first of all, because it's a cool gadget :D

Secondly, computers differ, and if you strap a rental to your wrist without knowing how it works - what are you going to do, when it starts beeping and showing weird signs while you are a 100 ft.?

- Another bonus: a computer doesn't take up a lot of space in your luggage

If all my diving was local and shallow, I probably wouldn't have bought a computer, but for someone who only dives on vacations, I personally think it makes sense (oh, and another thing - it is really expensive to rent a computer at least in Egypt)

I worked at a dive shop last summer and was advised to go about it this way:
1. Mask, fins, snorkel etc... (I'm pretty sure you are supposed to buy these for your certification)
2. Regulator- yes, one size usually fits all, but this item saves your life. I've rented ones that didn't work right and had to use the back up. They highly suggested you buy that one first.
3. BC/ gauges
4.wetsuit

I do have to agree with the above, if you are oddly figured and finding a wetsuit to rent is hard, I would go ahead and pick that up.. you can usually get them in the low $100's.

LeadTurn & Spectrum are spot on

I will add this, The only gear buying advice my instructor gave us was for regulators ... get good solid "middle of the road" regs, resist the urge to get entry level, or just "good enough for now" regs .. not because entry level regs are unsafe (none of them are) but because good gear will last a lifetime of diving and you do not want to find yourself wishing you had/or buying a better breathing regulator down the road

I recommend that your first purchases be the safety gear so often not part of rental gear -----

knife
EMT shears
slate and pencil
surface signal sausage
whistle
mirror
small light -- such as the 4AA UK Q40.

The above items are things that you will use no matter what BCD and regulators you purchase later.

Also buy a few snorkel keepers. The octo holder on many rental BCDs is missing or non-functional. Simply loop the snorkel keeper back on itself around a D-ring on the BCD, and then stuff the octo into the keeper.

Others have made good suggestions. I’ll add that you should check what local shops sell what gear. Getting it serviced can sometimes be a problem. So, if two or three shops in your area all sell brandX but only one sells brandY, then go with brandX. This should insure that you can still shop around and get your gear serviced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom