What do you bring on the dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though I don’t use a snorkel, I will take it along on the boat. I have seen divers “cry” because they can’t snorkel with the rest when we find dolphins and whale sharks on the surface during the boat ride.

I ask the dive boat operator.

I did a boat dive about a month ago with a great outfit (Hood Canal/Pacific Adventures). I emailed Skipper Don and he told me what to bring. In this case, in the cold murky NW waters, he told me I could bring my extra wetsuit, if I wanted. So I showed up with two gear bags. By the way, I didn't need the extra set - warm water down my wetsuit between dives, and his daughter filled us up with hot chocolate and soup!

The short answer on some boats - don't bring what you don't want to get wet.

A good attitude.:wink:

And this too
Mesh bag with gear, drybag with small towel, shirt and shorts(which I almost never use....), my phone and keys go in a small pelican case in the dry bag. My computer is my logbook. Dno't forget save-a-dive kit. Invaluable...

I use a roll top dry bag. Most outdoor stores have them. Keeps stuff dry.
Boats I've been on have made us set up our stuff on the boat at dock, and take the bins back to our vehicles.

Stahlsac mesh bag for the boat ... easy to lug around (backpack straps) and has a bag-length dry pouch built in. Unless you just need something to do on the surface intervals and that's why you're bringing your logbook you're probably best leaving it off the boat -- if you don't have a computer recording your dive details bring a small slate and pencil and jot down the stuff you won't remember later.

Dive Caddy is a great travel bag for your gear but not a boat bag. Everyone I've known who has one brings a mesh bag for the boat and leaves the DC in the hotel room. I've been using an Acona carry-on roller and reg-bag combo for plane trips and checking my fins/wetsuits which works just fine, but you wouldn't want to use that as a boat bag either.

As far as what else to bring, the less/lighter stuff the better and it's dive-dependent -- i.e., if you don't need gloves at a certain site (or they aren't allowed) don't pack 'em in the boat bag. A towel is great and all but a shammy cloth works just as well, is lighter and dries quicker, etc.

I take the mesh bag with all my equipment and a dry bag (it's probably one of the most useful things you can own).

The mesh bag has all my equipment (BC, regs, suit, fins, spares etc). I wear my computer on my wrist but if you have a bulky computer, it should go in to your dry bag.

The dry bag contains the most basic essentials and items that should remain dry. For those items that have to stay extra dry, a water-proof case or even ziplock bags are useful.

The rule for boats is take just what you need and make yourself small - you usually don't have that much space.

I run down the PADI checklist for packing (http://www.padi.com/padi/common/pdfs/sd/DiversEquipList.pdf), and I dump it all in my Akona mesh bag w/ drawstring top if I'm boat diving, or if we're car diving I use a large Rubbermaid bin. Obviously I don't use/need all of the stuff, but it helps me review and I just skip over what I don't need.

I have a small roll top drybag (obtained from our local outdoor store that sells camping/boating things) into which I put my clothes for after the dive. This keeps them dry.

Thanks everyone- y'all are right about this being a learning process- I like things organized and think the big size dry bag might be the answer- then I can dump wet stuff in it at the end.

Also, Iv'e been bringing logbook a- because that's what I was told to do... :-D b- I've heard sometimes dive shops/boats will ask to see it on top of c-card and c- I'm still trying to rack up dives for my AOW and then eventually Master diver so I've been getting my logbook signed by divemaster I do like the idea of recording air on the slate- my computer isn't air integrated- thanks for that tip.

A lot of this is determined by the boat captain as well. If it's a small private boat or just a smaller charter you may be limited to one dry bag and you put your gear together before you come on board. Maybe there is a small milk crate under each seat.

On larger boats it's still good to be efficient but you may be able to bring on more. I know here in the PNW some of our charter boats are larger and with more amenities than some boats on the east coast that have to travel further.

Our waters are inland and close by so fuel isn't the issue it is in other places. Some boats have to travel further, faster, and therefore have to be smaller and more nimble.

It all depends on the location and the boat. If someone wants to see your logbook they can look at it before you get on board. You don't have to carry in on board unless you just want to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom