What do I use to setup an A650 with a strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought an A650 with a WP-DC18 housing. What do I use to set it up with a strobe? What strobe setup would you recommend for a newbie shooting socal waters?

I have 2 cameras. Canon A95 with Canon Housing and A570IS with Ikelite housing. I'm using Sea and Sea YS-90DX strobe. The newer version YS-110 is also very nice. It has LED spotting light, which is very bright during the night dive.

For the Canon housing I 'm using ULCS arm and tray. For the ikelite housing, I'm using Ikelite tray and ULCS arm.

I have 2 cameras. Canon A95 with Canon Housing and A570IS with Ikelite housing. I'm using Sea and Sea YS-90DX strobe. The newer version YS-110 is also very nice. It has LED spotting light, which is very bright during the night dive.

For the Canon housing I 'm using ULCS arm and tray. For the ikelite housing, I'm using Ikelite tray and ULCS arm.

I don't have the camera/housing delivered yet so I can't look at them first hand but, what is used to connect the strobe/arm to the camera?

I understand the mechanical connections (screw everything together) but where does the flash get its "brain", its instructions? I would imagine it's an electrical connection through the housing, right? What are the options and considerations here? Expensive?

I use an Inon strobe with a fibre optic cable for the Canon A series housings & cameras. The end of the cable attached to the housing right in front of the internal flash.

Camera sits on a tray. Tray has an arm. Strobe head attaches to arm. Viola!

Best bet is to get set up from a reliable dealer, such as Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros - they can make sure all your bits and bobs work together smoothly.

I have also used Ikelite strobes with a remote controller unit with these camera/housings and it works just fine. I prefer the Inon set up, personally, though a large part of that could be the excellent control I have with the Inons coz my Ike strobe doesn't have all the settings.

I have a sealife strobe setup, pics in my "Got new toys" thread in the main photo forum!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom