Question What do I need to know about E/O cords?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wstern5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m thinking about trying to switch my current light to a E/O cord, and going that direction with future purchases. The idea of having interchangeably as I add more components (bigger batteries, better light heads, suit heat) is appealing. And I could purchase these items individually as I need them.

Anything I should know? Maintenance? Drawbacks? Advantages?

Thanks!

don't do it. it is not worth it.

If you want that interchangeability then something like the stack caps from @Bobby are vastly superior. EO's are not terribly reliable, only rated for so many connects, shouldn't be connected underwater, definitely not while powered, etc. It's one of those nifty concepts but not great in practicality. The UWLD system is built the way you described it, and while it is a bit more expensive than E/O's, they are an unnecessary expense and come at a cost of reliability.

E/Os work fine. I really never have a problem with the EO connector, it’s always mid-cord somewhere. I have EO on all my packs and all my lights and have for 15 years.

With LEDs even mid cord failures aren’t a huge deal as the light will flicker a bit as things progress toward total failure. With HID lights a flicker meant “lights out”.

Keep ‘em clean. Don’t power them up underwater while disconnected.

I use E/O cords in most of my lights. The primary reasons I use them are to be able to change light heads with battery packs for specific dives, and the ability to use my primary light canister for suit heat in the event of an emergency (ie flooded suit way back in a cave).

Like anything in life, there are compromises with E/O cords. The biggest two are that they require a little bit of maintenance AND they can accidentally become unplugged if you get the cord caught on something.

The maintenance part is easy enough. Every now and then take some sandpaper to the gold contact male side and spray a little bit of de-oxit pro gold in the female side, and every now and then smash the connectors with a hammer because the female side will wallow out a little. I find that the maintenance goes up the more I unplug / replug the system.

Solving the accidental unplugging problem can be resolved with electrical tape. A few wraps of electrical tape will hold an E/O connector solidly AND allow you to use the battery pack in the event of a suit flood.

Is it advisable to use a little dielectric grease on the connector and then maybe even shrink wrap it to make a semi-permanent connection? Seems like that would solve the issue of it coming unhooked underwater and help reduce the possibility of if failing over time? Cutting the heat shrink is easy enough if you want to swap heads.

Is it advisable to use a little dielectric grease on the connector and then maybe even shrink wrap it to make a semi-permanent connection? Seems like that would solve the issue of it coming unhooked underwater and help reduce the possibility of if failing over time? Cutting the heat shrink is easy enough if you want to swap heads.
if you're doing that, why bother with the E/O in the first place? It's a very expensive "solution" to a problem that is almost non-existent in todays equipment.

@Wstern5
Some common reasons for having E/O's
Spare Light Heads-just grab a handheld that's about the same size and is actually a redundant piece of equipment. Dive Rite LX20+ or Halcyon aren't appreciably bigger than a spare light head and are truly redundant. New battery and LED technology has essentially eliminated the need to carry a spare light head in a pocket because we don't have bulbs that fail randomly and the smaller lights are nice to have for smaller dives.

Swapping light heads for different configurations-Most all of the heads on the market now are either upgradeable with new guts or the cost of sending the lid back for a new head is not going to be appreciably more than the E/O's but if you have to replace the E/O cord because it fails mid-cord then you're in for a much more painful repair bill as the E/O cords themselves are insanely expensive. For reference if you are halfway decent with a soldering iron you can replace a light cord in about 20 minutes with $3 of cable from Lowes/Home Depot. A new E/O cord is at minimum $60 for the cord itself. Same job to solder *you obviously only have to do one side*, but it's a $60 cord vs a $3 cord.

Using different batteries for different dives-this was a big deal back in the day with lead/NiMH batteries. With the density of lithium combined with the efficiency of LED's those days are IMO over. We don't need to carry monstrous battery packs anymore. Even for the massive 12-16hr expedition level dives that the KUR and WKPP are doing, you aren't needing your primary light for the vast majority of it and with lights that kick down to low, they will last the whole dive. LD40 with the big battery will go for about 5 hours on high. If you have a 4hr bottom time on high then kick it down to low it will go for another 4 hours. Once you're in the habitat you don't need the primary lights and a backup light on low will last for a million years.

Heat is where it can get complicated for big dives where you may need redundancy in heat for safety. I personally use a dedicated heat pack for my heated vest on big dives *with the stack caps from UWLD I can easily add it to my primary canister for the <6hr dives*, and then I have an older Halcyon pack with a battery from Batteryspace and an E/O on it that will plug into my vest. The UWLD's stay on my harness and the spare one stays with my O2 bottle/mp3 player on deco. For ocean diving I wouldn't bother with carrying multiple packs since the dives should be short.

Obviously my personal opinion which goes against a lot of the older school mentalities about the E/O cords, but I personally find them a bit of a nuisance, especially on light heads. I only have them on my heated vest instead of the vastly superior Seacons *actually designed to be wet-mateable* because they are the standard in the dive industry for heated vests *same issue I have with fischer cables*.

My wife added an e/o to her light. I was concerned about reliability so I spoke to Ken above and another instructor who use them. Based on those conversations she got one and has had no issues. Sure they’re a potential failure point, but it’s not as overblown as some make it. It’s about risk vs reward. The reward for her is enough that she takes the minor risk of a light failure. My light without e/o has died due to a cord issue twice over the years. She never has had an issue.

E/Os work fine. I really never have a problem with the EO connector, it’s always mid-cord somewhere. I have EO on all my packs and all my lights and have for 15 years.

With LEDs even mid cord failures aren’t a huge deal as the light will flicker a bit as things progress toward total failure. With HID lights a flicker meant “lights out”.

Keep ‘em clean. Don’t power them up underwater while disconnected.
Exactly what he said

E/Os are great for repurposing old used battery cans into suit heaters. Cut off the 10W HID head and tada, suit heat.

I would never put an E/O on a HID primary light, you're just adding a failure point even if it's not really a big deal. On a LED primary they are certainly no big deal but why? Just to mix and match is not a good reason to me.

I have a couple different lights and I just bring the light I want for the dive and the heater pack is completely separate.

I agree the uwld stack caps are cool and I have one. But to be honest if you’re swapping out a lot I feel like I’m more likely to damage the connections in the battery compartment more than an e/o. I know with two of my uwld lights you’ve got to bend the hell out of the connector to mate them together.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom