Question What do I need to know about E/O cords?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you're doing that, why bother with the E/O in the first place? It's a very expensive "solution" to a problem that is almost non-existent in todays equipment.

Because I bought the canister (dual output) first (mainly for a suit heater) and intend to add the light later.

Because I bought the canister (dual output) first (mainly for a suit heater) and intend to add the light later.
99.% of those have an EO cord on one side and a hardwired light on the other. Not 2x EO

if you're doing that, why bother with the E/O in the first place? It's a very expensive "solution" to a problem that is almost non-existent in todays equipment.

99.% of those have an EO cord on one side and a hardwired light on the other. Not 2x EO
Well I have 2 EO connectors.

I wasn't trying to debate the pros/cons of EO connectors, just looking to see if there are ways to mitigate the perceived problems (water intrusion / security) with the solution I proposed (dielectric grease / heat shrink). I get it, you guys don't like EO cords, let's keep the conversation moving. Thanks.

Well I have 2 EO connectors.

I wasn't trying to debate the pros/cons of EO connectors, just looking to see if there are ways to mitigate the perceived problems (water intrusion / security) with the solution I proposed (dielectric grease / heat shrink). I get it, you guys don't like EO cords, let's keep the conversation moving. Thanks.
Take off the light EO and hardwire a light head. The heat EO should have a pitkin controller in the head already. If you accidentally put a light head on the pitkin EO you'll kill an HID that way and an LED won't work. The risk of putting a light head on the wrong EO makes the juice not worth the squeeze here.

E/Os are great for repurposing old used battery cans into suit heaters. Cut off the 10W HID head and tada, suit heat.

I would never put an E/O on a HID primary light, you're just adding a failure point even if it's not really a big deal. On a LED primary they are certainly no big deal but why? Just to mix and match is not a good reason to me.

I have a couple different lights and I just bring the light I want for the dive and the heater pack is completely separate.
It gives you the ability to run a backup light head.

It lets you select the right can for the job.

I don’t need 3 primary lights and 3 battery packs. I just need 3 cans and 2 light heads, and I can take the head with my in my pocket on big dives.

EO also isolates the light from the can in case of flooding. You only lose half of the equation.

I don’t need 3 primary lights and 3 battery packs.
This seems like a huge advantage- purchasing light heads and batteries individually as you need.

It gives you the ability to run a backup light head.
I've never had an LED head fail. The head's are not the weak link for me (it's the cord and battery pack)

In the OP's case he can't put a light head on the pitkin EO anyway and doesn't even have one lighthead for the other EO. By the time they buy a 2nd light head (or are doing big enough dives where bringing a 2nd light head starts to potentially make sense) the first cord will be at the end of it's useful life anyway. Just put a solid cord to the yet-to-be-purchased light head. 2 or 3 years from now when they actually have the money and desire for a 2nd lighthead (a day which may never come) then fine replace the now worn out solid cord with EOs.

My wife has the LM dual output canister (biggest one they make) and it has two e/o's because she runs a halcyon light on it. It died on the first dive due to a bad bunch of boards, but was quickly replaced. No issues since.
The dual output is nice, but I presonally prefer two separate canisters. The issue is she's small and has limited body space, so dual output works well for her. She could just leave a canister with her deco bottle, but she starts using her heater on our exit from the dive. Even with a xerotherm under an arctic she gets chilly. For someone with natural fluff like me, leaving it at the deco bottle is fine

I've never had an LED head fail. The head's are not the weak link for me (it's the cord and battery pack)

In the OP's case he can't put a light head on the pitkin EO anyway and doesn't even have one lighthead for the other EO. By the time they buy a 2nd light head (or are doing big enough dives where bringing a 2nd light head starts to potentially make sense) the first cord will be at the end of it's useful life anyway. Just put a solid cord to the yet-to-be-purchased light head. 2 or 3 years from now when they actually have the money and desire for a 2nd lighthead (a day which may never come) then fine replace the now worn out solid cord with EOs.
I'm the opposite. 5 years on the same bulb on an HID no issues. 3 lighthead or cord failures with LEDs (from well known manufacturers)

I’m thinking about trying to switch my current light to a E/O cord, and going that direction with future purchases. The idea of having interchangeably as I add more components (bigger batteries, better light heads, suit heat) is appealing. And I could purchase these items individually as I need them.

Anything I should know? Maintenance? Drawbacks? Advantages?

Thanks!
Teledyne Impulse Wet Mate series are better than EO connectors. It's too bad the dive industry didn't adopt them as the standard. I have my primaries with the IE2 series that Light Monkey was able to put on my light heads and canisters about 7 years ago but now they don't have the glands to accommodate the SJO wires so I'm stuck with EO for my suit heat.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom