What diving is available in Corpus Christi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve0729

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am searching for a good dive spot in the Corpus Christi / Port Aransas area.
Some background: I live in Dallas and seldom get to the coast. I am planning a trip with my wife (a non-diver) to the Corpus Christi area this Fall, and would like to fit in a dive if there is a good place to go. My wife will not mind if I take 4-6 hours to go dive, but I donÃÕ want to leave her by herself for much more than that. I am thinking there might be something available in a boat dive that would fit. A scuba park would also be acceptable, but I havenÃÕ heard of any. Do the readers here know of anything that I would fit that time frame? I would have flexibility regarding morning, noon or late afternoon.
I have heard of the John Worthington wreck near Port Aransas, but I wonder what visibility at that site would be. I can deal with 10 feet vis, but less than would make me uncomfortable since I will almost certainly be diving with an insta-buddy. (I have about 20 dives in my log book.)
So, could anyone fill me in on my options in the Corpus Christi / Port Aransas area?

:popcorn: I wanna know too!!

Somebody answer!!

I have read online about a boat called the Orion that dives the rigs. It leaves out of Port Aransas, across the bay from Corpus Christi. I think there are a couple of dive shops in Port A that run trips.

Out To Sea Adventures runs the Orion, and is a great boat. I've dove off of it at least 3 or 4 times, and it's always been good viz out at the rigs. He tends to take people out to double yellow (26 miles) and the Bakers (50 miles). If you want to do the Bakers, they're a little deeper (330+ to the sand) but viz is pristine. You've gotta get up really early to do a 3 tank to the Bakers.

We usually make two trips a year to Rockport (family.)

Blue water tends to come in around late August or early Sept. When this happens the blue water come in alot closer to shore. You might have to do some research on this.

Also chek out Spearboard they have do a great job about local conditions.

Hopefully Michael B. will comment- he's a great source of information.

There are two dive shops- do a quick search and they will show up.

Andrew

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation regarding 'Out to Sea Adventures'. I will definately check them out.

I was hoping for a personal testimony regarding dive sites in the Corpus Christi area. Something like, "I dove the John Worthington wreck (or some other dive site) last fall and it was ...".

Anyone?

When blue water is close to shore, I have gone out to inshore rigs on a sailboat launched in the surf. They were excellent dives. I have also dove the jetties at Fish Pass and Packery Channel. These were good but full of fishermen on weekends. I've looked at the jetties at Port A but yet to hit good conditions in terms of crowds, tides and clarity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom