What diving goals did you ACHIEVE in 2008?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WHAT DIVE RELATED 'NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS' DID YOU SET FOR 2008, and did you achieve them? (and what didn't work out?)
Well, I didn't set any resolutions - but I had some diving accomplishments in 2008.

• Went diving locally (twice)
  • Completed drysuit cert
  • Completed Rescue Diver cert
  • Wife went diving locally (once)
  • Wife completed drysuit cert
  • Wife completed AOW cert

As for what didn't work out - wife hated diving locally. Has no desire to go diving locally again. I also wish I had gone diving more this year.

In 2008 I got to dive on three vacation trips, Thailand, British Virgin Islands and also St John (USVI).
I completed AOW certificate in May.
Also bought a camera with UW housing and took my very first UW photos on my AOW course and now I just love it.

For 2009 I want to dive as much as possible. Wish I didn't live so far away from warm water (don't want to dive in cold water). I am going on my first dedicated dive trip ever to Cozumel in April.

I completed a few goals, though I didn't really have any set in stone:

-got OW certified, and then AOW + Rescue.
-planned to dive once a month, in the end I dived once or twice a week and racked up 117 dives in '08 so certainly achieved that goal! :)
-do a wreck dive. I ended up doing seven dives on four different wrecks
-see an octopus - this took months to achieve but now I find one on about 50% of my dives!

I also wanted to get a camera, but didn't quite succeed. It will arrive on 6th Jan so only a few days out! :)

I got a lot of dives (around 450) in this year. and most (all except one he he he) in the Red Sea. World Class diving in the Southern Egyptian Waters at dive sites like Brothers, Daedalus, Rocky, Zabargad, St' John's, Elphinstone, Fury Schoal, Wadi Gamal and wrecks like AýÅa, Numidia, Thistlegorm, Rosalie M?ler, Salem Express, El Tor, El Arish, Al Kahfain, Thien Hsing and more... Man I could go on for ever... There are a lot of pictures and stuff from the Red Sea on my website WELCOME TO AZIAB for anyone interested.

.....a.....
Red Sea Expert ;o)
WELCOME TO AZIAB

In 2008:

--Completed Rescue Diver
--Became a "Dry" Diver

For 2009:
--Dive the Red Sea
--Put at least 40 dives in the log book

Stayed alive while blundering through about 90 wreck and reef dives.

My main diving goal for 2008 was to finally see a whale shark. My wife was convinced they were the "unicorns of the sea". We had struck out in Belize and Galapagos in the past so I planned a side trip to Holbox during our family Cozumel vacation this summer in hopes of FINALLY seeing a whale shark. Thankfully, my wife, kids and I were able to swim with these beautiful animals there. As luck would have it, then two months later in Cocos my wife and I had one stay with us for almost 1/2 hour!

Other goals achieved were getting cave CCR certified and completing my CCR Trimix instructor rating.

In 2009, I'm hoping to change my "warm water wussie" status and do some colder water diving -- got myself a drysuit for Christmas!

I surfaced alive and unbent.

My Goal was to complete my first "day" of Diving. I reached this goal 22 Dec 2008 - I went over 24 hours Bottom Time.....

Back
Top Bottom