What dive sites not to miss and where to see the biggest sea-life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoc369

Registered
Reaction score
We will only be diving Coz for one day (we are staying in Cancun, unfortunately). We are experienced divers (PADI certified Rescue, EAN and are current Divemaster candidates). We will be doing 4 dives in 1 day. 2 tanks in a.m. and 2 in afternoon. We are thinking about the following sites: Columbia deep, Punta Sur, Chun Chakab, Santa Rosa Wall, Dalila, etc. (We are open to other ideas).

Dive op has asked us what sites we want to go to so:

What four "best" sites would be recommended? We would like to do one deep dive and then we really like to see big sea-life.

Any thoughts would be so much appreciated! Thanks!

Columbia, Punta Sur, Maricibo, are the deep dives 130 with most chance of seeing large turtles and large lobsters hideing in a hole. Other than that not much in the way of fish life. Santa Rosa wall starts at 70 and goes down to ? more fish life right at top of wall. Dalila is best for soft corals and scools of fish its 50ft, May see many baracuda, lobster, eagle rays, turtles, grunts, triger fish, parot fish, grouper, nurse shark, and many more. This should be the last dive since you will be nitrogen happy by then and it is shallow. Dalila I think is the best shallow dive.

Shoc369:
We will only be diving Coz for one day (we are staying in Cancun, unfortunately). We are experienced divers (PADI certified Rescue, EAN and are current Divemaster candidates). We will be doing 4 dives in 1 day. 2 tanks in a.m. and 2 in afternoon. We are thinking about the following sites: Columbia deep, Punta Sur, Chun Chakab, Santa Rosa Wall, Dalila, etc. (We are open to other ideas).

What four "best" sites would be recommended? We would like to do one deep dive and then we really like to see big sea-life.

When are you going and who is the Dive Operator that is taking you out?

My persoanl favorites are any and all of the Palancar sites: Palancar Caves, Palancar Gardens, Palancar Horseshoe, etc.

I also have really enjoyed diving the C-53 Wreck, but not everyone enjoys it the way my buddy and I do.

W

One of my faves is Santa Rosa, which is on your list, but I might try to make sure I got at least one in to Cedral. I've seen some great critter action there at times.

I don't know what sort of relationship you have been able to forge with your dive op, but your choices of dive sites may be limited if they don't know you and have never been out with you. The ops on Cozumel have been burned by divers who show a lot of experience by way of cert card and log book but aren't really that skilled, so most of them will want to observe how you handle yourself in the water before taking you to some of the more advanced sites.

Shoc369:

Big sea life, sharks,turtles,grouper and rays is a hit or miss thing. And, as some have already pointed out, you will probably be at the mercy of your Dive Operator as to where you go. It has been my experience that the majority of the turtles are further south on places like Palancar Francaise and Columbia Pinnacles. I try to hit those two reefs every time I go to Cozumel because IMO, they are two of the most spectacular dives there. Delilah is also a very good dive and one of my favorites. But, I love them all for various reasons. You never know what you are gonna run into down there, big or little. For me, finding the tiny Damsel fish is a treat.

Mawg:
It has been my experience that the majority of the turtles are further south on places like Palancar Francaise....

I've not heard of that one, unless it's the same as the one I've heard called "Francesca" and "the French reef". Is that the one?

Hubby and I decided that Santa Rosa is one of our favorite dives. It's shallow, it's easy, and there's a lot to see. BTW Wristshot, I think hubby would agree with you about the C53. He talked about that one all night and now wants to do some Great Lakes wreck dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom