What dive computer is in YOUR future?

What dive computer is in YOUR Future?

• Get the Nitek3, what a great price!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • The VR3 is the Way to Go! Video Games!

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Ditch computers altogether, loser!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Wait til something new comes out.

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my VR3 in combination with my Inspiration CCR. Full real time PPO2 deco calculations and the ability to bail out and still have it compute my deco. Can even change the gas mixes on the dive (for example if I "borrow" a buddies stage cylinder)

Display is very clear and easy to read, much more so than my Vytec, Vyper and Alladin Pro (Can you get a Vyper to do anything wearing 5mm gloves??), backlight is superb even in murky UK waters, shows up well by HID lamp and doesn't glare out like the Suunto's

As for those who cut tables for each dive. You must be very popular on the dive boat when the site is swapped at the last minute and the new site is 10m Shallower than the tables you cut. I can just enter the new info in the VR3's planning mode and it will give me all the stops/gases etc, which I then write on my slate, before I leap in

Oh yes, the VR3 is not an OMS unit, its made by Delta P in the UK. OMS just sell and rebadge it.

Short of my Decobrain, its also just about the most over engineered and bombproof piece of kit I own and having a second opinion on the Inspirations O2 monitoring gives great peace of mind

As you can tell, I like mine (a lot)

There is a whole new line of computers coming out that rivals all of suunto's this fall. Maybe wait and see what DEMA has up there sleeves this yr.

I have a Vytek and two VR3's

WYDT once bubbled...
Won't tell you what you should do but I'll tell you what I do.. :wink:

I have a Bottom Timer (Uwatec) and watch backup (Casio - also does depth/time). I print a set of tables from GUE's Decoplanner and laminate them. The tables I print have times ranging from 0 bottom time to 120min bottom time (I may need to print more now with longer than 120min but that's another story) with corresponding deco stops and times...

I use standard mixes (EAN so far, not into Trimix yet) so after about 5 dives I start to get a hang of where I should stop and how much time I need to stop there even without looking at the tables I printed though I do glance at them to make sure now and then. Keep them in my thigh pocket within easy reach.

I used to use a computer but find that I like my BT/Tables much better... besides, you've got to have them as a backup anyway even if you use a puter right??

DSAO!!

Well there is my answer, buried in the above post.

With so many slashdotters and 'puter people on this board. You can understand my hesitations on the VR3.
Every line of code is a another thing that can be wrong. A life support tool with games programmed into it is a HUGE turn off for me.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Well there is my answer, buried in the above post.

With so many slashdotters and 'puter people on this board. You can understand my hesitations on the VR3.
Every line of code is a another thing that can be wrong. A life support tool with games programmed into it is a HUGE turn off for me.

why does thaat not supprise me. dive computers have been around now for about 20 years, with no known accidents associated with the use of a computer. but hey like i said in our last debate....in 10 years some people will still be diving the same gear and techniques. well if you where diving 20 years ago I'll bet someone said the same thing to people with the same attitude about diving and change. keep hanging on to the old ways.

i hear that there are people who go out and dive the double hose regs still. all be it for nastalga.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom