What dive computer is in YOUR future?

What dive computer is in YOUR Future?

• Get the Nitek3, what a great price!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • The VR3 is the Way to Go! Video Games!

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Ditch computers altogether, loser!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Wait til something new comes out.

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I still have my first computer, an Aeris Atmos Pro. It's served me well despite being abandoned on an airplane once and abused in caves and wrecks. I got a brand new Uwatec Smart Wrist Computer last month because of a promotion from Scubapro to it's dealers, and it's now, uh, for sale. I'm trying to make a decision about my dive computer future. First, I dove a Dive Rite Nitek3 in Fla cause my buddy had one and he borrowed one for me. I liked it, but it won't do trimix. I can get it at dealer cost, which I can't reveal but I think is $638.00. I saw an OMS VR3 (The NEW one, NOT the old BRICK) and it was very cool, does trimix, capable of 10 mixes, switchable under water, nice display, has video games for deco, but is very expensive ($1400) and is unproven. I might dive something unproven but not something OMS AND unproven, right? Third (or fourth, or whatever), I have heard internetwise from a lot of folks who disdain computers at all, they say you should know how deep you're going, how long you're going to stay, what you're going to do when you get there and know all your deco stops, and if you don't you are WRONG and will DIE!
So let's debate and help little Campana make his decision, no rush, what kind of computer would YOU get if you were in my pickle, if any? Should I become one of the persons who says "No thanks, I'll cut tables and stick to my profile?" This might get a little annoying, say, on the wall at Roatan with Dee and Beast and I've gotta go up because my profiles say so and Dee just spotted a new Juve-drum or something.

Please don't say "Make sure it does Nitrox", Ok?

Everyone gets to vote.
Thanks.

Dave

Well my vote goes to the Suunto Vytec, which isn't on your list. Figure it's a step up from my Suunto Octopus II, which is little more than a bottom timer to the nearest minute.

Originally posted by bengiddins
Well my vote goes to the Suunto Vytec, which isn't on your list. Figure it's a step up from my Suunto Octopus II, which is little more than a bottom timer to the nearest minute.

Sorry about leaving out the Vytec. I have a couple of questions. One, how much do they cost? Two, still no trimix, right?

These prices are from SimplyScuba (VAT deducted):

Computer $377
Optional transmitter: $290

Hey at that price I might even buy one!

Correct, no trimix capabilities, but up to 3 EANx gases per dive (eg 32, 50 and 100). Seeing as I'll be back in Australia before I have enough diving experience to undertake trimix training and diving, and it costs up to and around $200 Australian for a trimix fill for a set of doubles, it's not an issue for me.

I going to go with the AIR Z....

Rich:mean:

Trimix, to the best of my knowledge, limits you to either the Abysmal (what a tragically great name for a company - thank you, guys, for my new tanks!) Explorer or the OMS VR3.

As far as I know, both have had their problems historically. Enough so that I haven't been willing to take a flyer on them.

I semi-like my Nitek3, except no HE and its too hard to read and even harder to program reliably. Makes for a great bottom timer, however. The Vytek is also semi-interesting, but not enough so that I anticipate kicking the ante for one.

I'd love to hear a recap from you at the end of your research. At the price, these toys are the subject of a whole lot of partisan hooey and, frankly, I have a hard time keeping my waders hitched high enough around my waist to deal with it all.

Steven

You shouldn't do that publicly. The FBI will start watching you. Blown up anything lately?

He's one of my favorites. He always said that he hoped no one ever found his body cause he wanted to end up Buzzard Poop. And, if I remember correctly, no one ever did find his body.

So, Campana, you're the second person this evening to comment on this quote. Do I detect the beginnings of a trend? How much do you suppose the feebs will pay for this information?

In the late '60's, while not yet a teenager (no one much older than that remembers the '60's, no matter what they may say) I read Desert Solitaire and suffered an epiphany. If you truly love nature (particularly the ocean, although Abbey was entranced by the southwestern US desert) and you aren't familiar with Abbey, you should be. Especially his book The Monkey Wrench Gang, whivh occupies a special place of honor on my bookshelf.

As far as I know, Abbey died an old man, enfeebled and at home, although his family buried him in an unknown place in the desert he so loved for most of his life.

Speaking of a fictitous character in Desert Solitaire that wanders off into the desert to die, Abbey said:

Looking out on this panorama of light, space, rock and silence, I am inclined to congratulate the dead man on his choice of jumping-off place; he had good taste. He had good luck -- I envy him the manner of his going.

He was just right enough and just goofy enough that he will always be one of my heroes.

Steven

I dive a Vyper and for the time being it's more than enough.

I guess that if I move to tech diving I wioll want something the enables gsa switching.

Ari :)

I dive the Vytec and have been happy. Very easy to read display and user friendly. Quite a bit cheaper than the Nitec 3. Like mentioned above no HE but three diferent gas up to 99. Also can be put into bottem timer mode for HE dives.

Back
Top Bottom