What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll use the plural "dives" because last week I managed to get in 14 dives over 6 days in nice warm water.

I learned that buoyancy is much easier to control using just your lungs when properly weighted and wearing a 2 mil shorty.

I learned that diving in warm water isn't "more" fun than diving at home, it's just different (he says trying to convince himself.....)

I learned that I want to do more cavern diving (I had an instructor with me for the cavern dives)

When the bottom is such that you probably could stick your arm down in it past your shoulder this is not the place to try to "poke spear" a flounder lying on it.....

... that diving a wreck with desire, but without training... can be a terrible temptation. Settled for head/shoulders and camera penetration only.

I learned that the dive sites that generally only get used when the weather sucks every where else just might not suck like I was expecting... And have a few octopus around, and schooling Mola mola...

I learned that instructors really do find it amusing to "watch the bubbles" during navigation dives. I'm glad that my dive buddy and myself didn't make fools of ourselves underwater (too much at least), but a few others did. :D

Last week, I spent three days helping my cousin raise his boat off the bottom in 50-60 ft of water. During those three days, I learned that an old geezer with a bad back, arthritis in both hips and both knees and a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder has no business pushing 55 gallon steel drums around in cold water and near zero visibility. On the up side, we got the drums tied to the boat, filled them with air and got the boat up. And I got to spend more time with my DA Aqua-Master. But I now know that I'm too old for this kind of stuff. Nuthin' but fun divin' for me from now on.

What did I learn? Hmmm

I learned how to use a double hose regulator (my newest very cool toy, a completely rebuilt 1964 DA Aquamaster) I learned how to clear the mouthpiece when it fills with water, how to position your body for maximum breathing efficiency, I saw how close I was able to stick my mask right up to fish resting on rocks and watch them - bubbles come out from behind you so they don't spook the fish. I found out what it feels like when your tank runs low on air (expected- calculated depth & time) then pulled the J valve and got full air back. I knew then it was time to make my way up and go back to the beach.
All this was done in a wetsuit in 53 degree water diving minimalist with no BC, no SPG, no computer, just a tank on a plate, my new baby, a bottom timer, and a compass.

Back
Top Bottom