What detergent to use for cleaning Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mockney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have been cleaning my regs using fresh water, keep them soaked for at least 24 hours and then let them dry. I have been advised I should really soak them using a detergent of some kind ideally anti bacterial type.

Just looking to see how you keep your Regs clean and what would be the best detergent to use?.

Thanks

I personally wouldn’t use anything other than fresh water.
I have scubapro pistons, and using any sort of detergent I’m afraid it would break down the silicone lube I have on the O-rings in the ambient chamber. So far rinsing really well with fresh water only I have not had any problems. I make sure to run water into the ambient holes enough to see it squirting out of the other surrounding holes.

What about desalting detergents after diving in salt water? Any potential issues with these?

I dunk mine in freshwater after a day of diving, then air dry. If you are using a communal rinse bucket, or diving nasty water, or not dumping your rinse, that might be a different matter. My gear air dries for a week between outings.

I agree with Eric. Bought mine used in 2005. Rinsed well after every dive day. Never soaked. Took it in every 2 or 3 years for a work up. Breathes the same as in 2005.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom