What Defines a "Tech" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs but Im wondering if youve ever done a deep dive on a helium mix? Theres great wreck dive the USS Aaron Ward in the solomon's around 70m USS Aaron Ward (DD-483) - Wikipedia Ive done it 9 times. 7 times on air and twice on trimix. One of the air dives I thought I was lucid and everything was fine until we got a stiff current and then my brain turned to mush and i could barely think straight, called the dive. The last two times on trimix are like chalk and cheese and I can recall more details on one trimix dive than I can on the 6 dives on air.
A good example of a dive that can be done on air or mix. Having dived the wreck dozens of time since early 1995 on both air and mix on OC, and mix on CCR, I can say I certainly would prefer to dive it on mix, but would not hesitate to dive it on air OC if I 'had to'. After all, it is generally clear and warm although have had it dirty and cold (for the Sols) and current, and you do not need to exceed 65m to see all of it all unless you want to sit on the sand @72/73m and inspect the props, or penetrate far below deck.

But the Ward offers a good example of someone being narced and not knowing it and is 'illustrated' in the two below photos. On the left is a 20mm gun in front of the wheelhouse at 'about' 55m (or maybe a tad more, as its been a while now), implaced during a refit after she was beat up after the so-called Barroom Brawl on the night of Nov. 12/13, 1942. Now this person, who decried the use of helium (like @mac64 does) on the Ward, never saw the gun upright, only collapsed as in the image on right and wondered (for some time) why a gun would be so implaced, angled down like that not being able to traverse. Seems he did not realise that it was simply collapsed down. And if that is / was not an endorsement for some folks to use helium at depth I don't know what is.

Aaron Ward 20mm in front of wheelhouse.jpg

I'm trying to arrive at a "definition" that clearly separates the person from the dive. The focus is also today, not what it might have been 20-30-40 years ago, or what it might be in the future.
Nice breakdown.

My rec-trimix cert (IANTD, also RAID Deep 40 add-on, GUE primer 30/30, UTD Rec-3 add-on) would argue with the Helium means tech part. They are normoxic or hyperoxic with up to around 35 He. My brain has been slow at 100' on nitrox. IANTD is very much a single gas cert; no switching between trimix and nitrox say. Rec-trimix does constrain ascent rate to 30'/min, so it is a step harder than air/nitrox's modest ascent rate ease. But not enough to make it tech.

The ability to switch between gas mixtures might usually imply tech-lite or tech for the diver. There are some odd cases though. RAID Deco 40 allows deco but not with a gas switch or allows a gas switch, for extended shallow time, but not with deco. And IANTD Deep Deco 40 gives 10 minutes of deco but no option for a gas switch, so the absence of gas switch ability does not mean rec.

It might be argued that the agencies have tacitly decided that a "full-fledged technical diver" is one that is trained through trimix with hypoxic oxygen and multiple deco cylinders plus back gases and travel gases. so that "all" depths can be accessed.
I might add "in analogy to full cave" to key that this is a point of full expression, not the start point of being no question tech. Though even there full cave does not inclued cave DPV or other add-on. Normoxic trimix with multiple depth toxic deco gasses is certainly full tech, just not the last thing you can add.

Although I would rather be using helium, I do agree - from personal experience - on your first two 'rubbish' points, (later edit / revision; more so on your first than the second though, and there are variables to both that could change the 'equation') you are very wrong on the third. Now while I would not expect a hit on air @ 62m (but depending how long one stayed there, it may be setting the stage for a hit shallow if decoing on o2 - as happened to some of the early deep air divers), oxtox can appear without warning, you will almost certainly pass out with very little if any notice and if there is no one there to assist (and even if there is sometimes) you will drown. Seen it with my own eyes and know of too many instances to state otherwise.

So as for safety and being an all-round better experience at 62m, would it be 'better' using helium in the mix? You bet!
Revised or edited as some like to take the higher intellectual ground and discredit what people say by pointing to misspelled words or grammar. Its known as fluffing. The PPO for that dive was 1.5 for 20 minutes and deco was on 50% so no I'm not wrong. I wasn't talking about oxygen toxicity in general.

Revised or edited as some like to take the higher intellectual ground and discredit what people say by pointing to misspelled words or grammar. Its known as fluffing. The PPO for that dive was 1.5 for 20 minutes and deco was on 50% so no I'm not wrong. I wasn't talking about oxygen toxicity in general.
What are you talking about? And what misspelled words? Seems not only have you a very prejudiced view concerning anything remotely classified as 'tech, you can't even read / understand the written word properly. And as for your speaking of 'oxygen toxicity in general', so was I. Maybe read my post again if you can't grasp the implications. And the 'revised / edited' bit has nothing whatsover to do with whatever 'misspelled words or grammar' of yours (or mine?) you may refer to, but was me just stating that after I posted my post, I went back in later and 'clarified' my stance (the text in italics in my post) re agreeing with your first two points.

So just curious as to what folks think either defines or qualifies someone as a "Tech" diver. Is it planned Decompression? Planned penetration? Overhead environment? Use of any gear beyond what is typically considered needed for "recreational" diving? Salvage diving with use of specialized equipment? Etc. Etc.

No offence to those that do serious "tech" diving to a point that many would not even consider doing and is clearly technical diving, but exactly where does a dive profile or equipment configuration transition from a recreational dive to a tech dive? Can a diver use basic recreational gear and still perform a "technical" dive.? I guess my personal opinion is that all dives have a certain level of "tech" and that the "TERM" Tech Diver in some cases is really just a subjective term....... and possibly even an ego term in some cases.

I guess my question is whether or not there is a black and white "line" that clearly defines the difference. I don't think there is.
Tech Diver. One who dives with enough complicated looking bling to make other lesser divers feel confused and intimidated.
It doesn't matter what your dive plan is, or your mix, it's all about the bling.

I dont see how you can be crticising usefull techniques if you've never tried them. That is, while I certainly dont believe 99% of divers need helium a 100ft, I also dont know one single person (well, maybe one, and that only because of the expense) who has - that is, is trained to - dive helium and then says they'd rather be diving air on a deep (say sub 50m-60m) dive.

And while I would also agree with the simplicity of scuba (i.e. besides your depth just one crucial gauge to monitor - the cylinder pressure gauge) I disagree with the 'reasoning' behind your anti CCR stance. If you have never used one you have no baseline from which to critique them, save for what appear to be you own prejudices against, it seems, all things that might be loosely labeled as 'tech'. And you don't need helium to dive a rebreather anyway, so helium is only an issue - and a very pertinent issue- if deep diving on one. So not a sales point for the average Joe Scuba I would think.
I said I didn't use helium, never said I hadn't tried a rebreather. I looked into buying an IDA 64 and tried the buddy inspiration years ago and found it a complete waste of money and time for my diving. Thankfully I didn't have to buy it. If people wish to use rebreathers that's their business and if they wish to use helium that's also theirs. Just don't tell others they need to do it. Personally I think for very long shallow dives a rebreather is a marvellous thing or very deep dives but mid range is a waste of time and money for me.

What are you talking about? And what misspelled words? Seems not only have you a very prejudiced view concerning anything remotely classified as 'tech, you can't even read / understand the written word properly. And as for your speaking of 'oxygen toxicity in general', so was I. Maybe read my post again if you can't grasp the implications. And the 'revised / edited' bit has nothing whatsover to do with whatever 'misspelled words or grammar' of yours (or mine?) you may refer to, but was me just stating that after I posted my post, I went back in later and 'clarified' my stance (the text in italics in my post) re agreeing with your first two points.
What I was talking about is how quick you were to underline a word I misplaced in an earlier post, like you don't know.(so yes there are such 'things) more fluff. Stick with the subject. You don't know me or what my prejudices might be.

Tech Diver. One who dives with enough complicated looking bling to make other lesser divers feel confused and intimidated.
It doesn't matter what your dive plan is, or your mix, it's all about the bling.
I know many divers who enjoy buying and displaying the bling. The dive outlet also enjoys selling them all the bling they desire.

What was the name of the dive outlet and how close to Port Moresby?

I know many divers who enjoy buying and displaying the bling. The dive outlet also enjoys selling them all the bling they desire.
I know people here that talk diving lots but not divers or dive anywhere except in their firmware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom