What compass do you use and where do you keep it?

What compass do you use and where do you keep it?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is so special about the Suunto compasses? Almost half so far has an SK6/7, do these point to magnetic north better than others??? :wink:

sk7 left wrist, suunto vyper right wrist.

no issues with them catching on bc straps because my drygloves are even more of an obstruction for that...

A cheap dive compass I think probably from 'A plus marine'. I wear it on my wrist. A lot of my buddies have these Suunto compasses, I don't see what is so special. After all it is only a compass and it does point to magnetic North.

simbrooks:
What is so special about the Suunto compasses? Almost half so far has an SK6/7, do these point to magnetic north better than others??? :wink:

tolerates a very large tilt angle...a lot of compasses don't and give inaccurate readings when not held level.

I wear mine on the wrist with bungee cords.

SK7 on left wrist with bungee cords.

compass needs a few things:

ring needs to lock positively as u turn it - no worries if u accidently bumped it.
face needs to be big, numbers easy to read
needle (round center ball) needs to be able to swing freely - even if u're not level
face should glow (for nighttime uw nav) when u put ur flashlight on it.
Bungie allows for wetsuit compression.

SK 7 on left wrist.

Switched from Oceanic as it doesn't tolerate as much tilt angle . Just curious can someone describe or show a photo of the bungee setup.

My aeris one is quite clear to read, i can tilt it a good way, maybe 20 deg without any trouble, a lot further than i can tilt my backpacking compass, my kayaking compass, and my biking compass. It was still pretty inexpensive and seems to work well.

Mares compass, on left wrist, bungeed. Came from my original console which I took apart. Hasn't let me down yet. As far as suiting up, it hasn't been a problem, I just turn my wrist while I put it through the shoulder strap.

Suunto SK7 on L wrist, with the original strap removed & a 1" black elastic band, custom fit, put in it's place. Love it.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom