What compass do you use and where do you keep it?

What compass do you use and where do you keep it?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry an Uwatec digital compass attached to my BCD with a retractor. I prefer the retractor to wearing the compass on my wrist.

;-> gjw

Suunto SK7 bungeed on left forearm, used to have my Vytec right beside it as well, but someone told me that the electronics of a computer MAY affect the compass... so now, my Vytec is bungeed to my right forearm.

I use an SK7 on a retractor. As an Instructor we do O/W dives in relatively low vis. This allows me to hold onto students if need be and still access my compass with either hand

Use Aeris compass, about $50 from Divers Direct. I have it on a retractor from left hip D ring, from years of compass bearings using walking/hiking style compasses on hills or out on the water sailing holding the thing in my hand and making it level, i found the box style thing on your wrist a pain and uncomfortable. I can however hold the compass in front of my nose and see the bearing or hold it down below my face and just look at the index marks with the needle, it depends how accurate i wish to be in my heading. To check its not stuck i roll it slightly forward and back and side to side to check its not tilted too far, but that is only a slight movement. Hasnt failed me yet.

Suunto compass. Used to be in a console, but I broke the console ... so I ran a bungee thru the console boot and wear it on my left wrist.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't stand anything on my wrists... officer... er... oh, flash back...

Anyway, I don't like putting a compass or computer on my wrist. Makes it harder to get your arm into BC straps, if I have to reach into some crevice, I will scratch them up if I bump, but probably the most important reason why I don't wear on my wrist is ease of suiting up.

I'll watch some people when they get ready to dive, and it is a 30 minute ritual before they can get in the water. Hook this, clip that, put this on this leg, strap this on that wrist, wrap this here... and on and on...

All my stuff is clipped to my BC. If I toss on my Ranger, and have a reg to breath... the only thing I have to make sure I have is my fins and mask... everything else is in place, and for the compass, it is on a plate with a plastic male clip with a palegic compass.

I also like the retractor slate version we use for our students when teaching classes... If I'm playing dive master... I'll carry that so I can jot notes to the divers.

Compass on my console.
Dive computer on left wrist - camera usually in right hand (attached with a lanyard so I can let it go!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom