What celebrity would you like to go diving with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, just found out from some one that works in the movie inds,that matthew is guy.

Hmmm... none of us (including me) mentioned a school teacher, too bad we all define our celebrities as people who are "media famous" rather than who do very positive things for society with relatively little reward.

I guess if the op had used another word besides celebrity it would have made more sense to pick a teacher.

I think the definition of celebrity is a movie / tv star or athelete.

Just my thoughts...

ohmdiver:
I guess if the op had used another word besides celebrity it would have made more sense to pick a teacher.

I think the definition of celebrity is a movie / tv star or athelete.

That's my point... why in the world should someone who plays a game, or someone else who can't even be themselves on screen, be considered a celebrity. They're both just entertainers. What about someone who really contributes real value to the progress of society... or have we degenerated to the level of the Romans in the Coliseum (with apologies to my Italian friends here).

My Funk and Wagnalls defines celebrity as "a famous or celebrated person." It says nothing about Hollywierd or grossly overpaid athletes. Why aren't our scientists celebrities instead of being subject to censor and being maligned? Why aren't at least our very best teachers considered celebrities?

Although there are some celebrities I'd like to dive with, and even though I talk about a few lovely ladies, I'd be much more interested in diving with someone who made substantive and long-lasting contributions to society as a whole rather than entertaining us for the short term. This does NOT mean that there are NO athletes or Hollywood stars that I would consider celebrities... just that the ones I do have done something more for us than just entertain us (and Salma falls into that category!).

According to dictionary.com the definition is just "a famous or well-known person",
so a teacher could very well considered a celibrtiy on more of a local level.

I agree though,most "celebrities" contribute nothing to society other than just entertain us.

The fact of the matter is that a teacher is in most cases NOT a celebrity. Just as I would not call Britney Spears a luminary. And the OP specifically asked about that.

What SHOULD constitute a celebrity is certainly a worthy topic of discussion, but I think that topic is better addressed in another thread.

Drbill, I do not disagree with your statements, and I think I am of the same mind. But there are millions of occupations that should have celebrity status. I think we are over thinking the OP question.

If I had said Mr. Stopper, who was my 10th grade English Teacher, I would imagine that his position would be more recognized than his person and therefore not a celebrity. Just my POV.

But I wil now add, Mr. Stopper, Mr. Doyle, and Mrs. Sealy to my list.

drbill:
That's my point... why in the world should someone who plays a game, or someone else who can't even be themselves on screen, be considered a celebrity. They're both just entertainers. What about someone who really contributes real value to the progress of society... or have we degenerated to the level of the Romans in the Coliseum (with apologies to my Italian friends here).

My Funk and Wagnalls defines celebrity as "a famous or celebrated person." It says nothing about Hollywierd or grossly overpaid athletes. Why aren't our scientists celebrities instead of being subject to censor and being maligned? Why aren't at least our very best teachers considered celebrities?

Although there are some celebrities I'd like to dive with, and even though I talk about a few lovely ladies, I'd be much more interested in diving with someone who made substantive and long-lasting contributions to society as a whole rather than entertaining us for the short term. This does NOT mean that there are NO athletes or Hollywood stars that I would consider celebrities... just that the ones I do have done something more for us than just entertain us (and Salma falls into that category!).

Hey, DrBill....THANK YOU (as a public school teacher of 21 years!) and my colleagues in Ohio and around the ScubaBoard Nation thank you. :) :)

Back
Top Bottom