What Can The Industry Do To Help Independent Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of it boils down to how good are you at business. I am an independent instructor and I also own a company that does small business marketing. We have done a lot of work with LDS trying to help them be more competitive here in Hawaii. Often what we have found is a stubborn response well this is how we have done because we are divers. Granted the dive industry has many differences than other businesses due to safety, certification agencies and what not, but at the end of the day you are still a business. There is very much a growing under ground in the dive world made up of a lot of folks who broke away from the norm of working through a shop and it is gaining momentum. Many LDS and local shops under appreciate word of mouth that is driven by good and bad customer service and it often reflects in sales. A wise LDS would work with independent instructors to provide them service to train students and get the students in their store to buy gear, get gas, go on trips and what not. Any dive business needs to maintain its passion for diving, but they also need to be smart business owners and look at how small businesses are being successful today and ditch the mentality well this is just how dive shops do it we are different other businesses. No you are a business. Marketing, costumer services, creative business thinking don't change because of the service you offer. In todays markets word of mouth wins over any another marketing campaign you can put on. If you treat the independent instructors badly they will treat the LDS badly and both lose in the end.

A lot of it boils down to how good are you at business. I am an independent instructor and I also own a company that does small business marketing. We have done a lot of work with LDS trying to help them be more competitive here in Hawaii. Often what we have found is a stubborn response well this is how we have done because we are divers. Granted the dive industry has many differences than other businesses due to safety, certification agencies and what not, but at the end of the day you are still a business. There is very much a growing under ground in the dive world made up of a lot of folks who broke away from the norm of working through a shop and it is gaining momentum. Many LDS and local shops under appreciate word of mouth that is driven by good and bad customer service and it often reflects in sales. A wise LDS would work with independent instructors to provide them service to train students and get the students in their store to buy gear, get gas, go on trips and what not. Any dive business needs to maintain its passion for diving, but they also need to be smart business owners and look at how small businesses are being successful today and ditch the mentality well this is just how dive shops do it we are different other businesses. No you are a business. Marketing, costumer services, creative business thinking don't change because of the service you offer. In todays markets word of mouth wins over any another marketing campaign you can put on. If you treat the independent instructors badly they will treat the LDS badly and both lose in the end.
word of mouth is all this small industry could ever afford generally at the LDS level..and that is a area that got badly trashed when shops started holding customers to blame for internet purchases, knowledge, and much more.

I am an independent dive instructor and when I was free-lancing full-time I made a partnership with a local dive shop. My students would pay me directly for the course and then I paid a small portion to rent gear, tanks, a fee to the boat to the dive shop. That way I never had to buy my own gear for my students etc. It really was perfect - no overhead!

It was also a really a good situation for the dive shop as anyone I couldn't teach or tour around I sent the divers directly to them. I even started getting a commission.

I am also an SDI Instructor to teach Solo Diving and in order to do that I had to set myself up as a "facility" with SDI. I just paid the fee (around 250USD I think) and made sure I have professional liability insurance.

There are some dive shops though who refuse to fill tanks b/c they think I am taking business away from them. I could be sending business to them if they thought a little more about it...

I was using the word "crime" in a metaphorical sense
You were trying to be overly dramatic. It's a cheap way get noticed. Now you're devolving into shock jock crapola which I find counter productive and fairly repulsive.

You were trying to be overly dramatic. It's a cheap way get noticed. Now you're devolving into shock jock crapola which I find counter productive and fairly repulsive.

You don't like me and I am not crazy about you. Can we get back to the topic please?

I am an independent dive instructor and when I was free-lancing full-time I made a partnership with a local dive shop. My students would pay me directly for the course and then I paid a small portion to rent gear, tanks, a fee to the boat to the dive shop. That way I never had to buy my own gear for my students etc. It really was perfect - no overhead!

It was also a really a good situation for the dive shop as anyone I couldn't teach or tour around I sent the divers directly to them. I even started getting a commission.

I am also an SDI Instructor to teach Solo Diving and in order to do that I had to set myself up as a "facility" with SDI. I just paid the fee (around 250USD I think) and made sure I have professional liability insurance.

There are some dive shops though who refuse to fill tanks b/c they think I am taking business away from them. I could be sending business to them if they thought a little more about it...

One win-win situation could be that dive shops externalize or outsource training. They could reach out to all instructors and say that they are providing classroom, pool, air-fills and gear rentals to all instructors regardless of agencies. Instructors from various agencies can bring their own students and instructors pay a package rate for gear rental, class room time, pool or air fills. If instructors are being paid directly then the LDS might loose some money but my feeling is that profits that come in through instruction constitute such a small portion of most LDS's that losing that may not hurt them in the long run. It will increase the incoming traffic of potential customers for the LDS. Furthermore LDS's could in fact make up for the lost revenue in instruction by increase in gear rentals and fills. I don't know. Just thinking out loud here.

You don't like me
It's not about you, it's about what you posted. Just because I disagree with you and your tactics does not reflect how I feel about you. The continued animosity you display is a large part of this "topic". It's both ways and it's toxic.

When I took my YMCA class that's exactly how it worked ... in fact, a tour of the dive shop was part of the classwork. I gave my instructor $129 for the class and spent over $1000 at the dive shop.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

On an Open Water Course, I give 25% of the course fee to the LDS. They provide equipment rental, books and certifications fees. The LDS primarily benefits from equipment sales. My primary benefits are I do not have to maintain an inventory of equipment. I create the future customers of the LDS. It works for us.

So I have been following this thread since it first posted.

"What can the dive industry do to help independent instructors?"

After nearly 60 some posts it appears to me the "dive industry" really does not have much to offer. Independent instructors should focus on business best practices and apply them to their circumstances. Development of relationships for an independent instructor is paramount for their survival. That is relations with LDSs, charter boat operations, students, other instructors, etc. Regardless of the business, the tools of the trade, or methods of delivery successful business are based upon relationships.

Back
Top Bottom